Mill for SBL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill for SBL

What is the name of that mill that fit right onto the compound rest pad on SBL's?

Anyone know of one on the market or other options for milling on a lathe?
    Dennis

A MILL that fits on the compound rest??

I assume you really mean a lathe milling attachment, which is a vise mounted on a vertical slide. It can attach to the lathe compound, or sometimes to the cross slide directly. Palmgren makes one.

They're a pretty poor substitute for a milling machine. Rigidity is extremely lacking, as is travel. But, for small, really weird, milling jobs, sometimes they're just the thing. I have an attachment for my lathe, and I seem to find some little oddball job for it about once a year. I'd hate to have to depend on it for general milling, though.

Now, there was an English-made milling column advertised in Model Engineer back in the '70s that bolted to the right-hand end of a Boxford (very similar to South Bend) lathe bed. Then you'd use your T-slot cross slide as the milling table. I assume that's not what you're talking about, though. Maybe John Stephenson can supplement my hazy memory of this.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 10-15-2002).]
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I too never saw a lathe mountedmill that was very rigid. Some one post the following link that tells of a good one , i suspect, and I suspect it costs as much as a good mill . Thenks for the link though

http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-524/toc.htm

Sorry I could not make it clickable. cut and paste then go to chapter 9 and read about the versa mil. Some good tips in chapter 9. The Versa mill (if the army is to be believed) cuts gears, does single pass threading, will cut .008" PER TOOTH with slitting saws, woodruff key ways, splines (internal and external. Any one ever see one in war surplus? or on a job? Reason I am skeptical is i used to know a army recruiting sgt well

Steve

Comment

That's it. The Versa Mill! Thanks.

I know that rigidity is a concern... but this mill works pretty okay. With the mill and an indexing head, I've cut steel gears for remote valve actuators, hex shaft ends, and keyways on pump shafts with it and didn't see any defects in the products.
        Dennis

Comment

btw, the versa mill replaces the top half of the compound. It has it's own motor and drive speed adjustments mounted on 4 posts with a micrometer raise/lower adjust and it pivots on an indexed base plate so it is pretty rigid. The cross slide gives the horizontal plane adjustments.

It is true that you have to take more passes to slice deep because it will climb out of a cut if the speed is too high.

Now I gotta find one. Maybe one of them subs what got decomm'd sent one to DPDO... as I recall they cost just as much as the SBL they fit.
          Dennis

Comment

Here's the link to their website http://www.versamil.com/

Comment

Here's some e-mail I got from VersaMil in response to a query I sent:

Steve,

VersaMils are made from the small 31 model which is four inches square,
              taking a number 2 morse taper tool, using a 1/3 hp motor, up to as large
              of a machine as you could possibly use. The standard military unit is a
              #32 VersaMil with a 3/4 horsepower motor, which is 6 inches square and
              about 18 inches tall., using a #3 morse taper.

A number 31 VersaMil could be used on a 10 inch lathe. They range in
              price from about a thousand for a used main unit to twenty thousand
              dollars for a huge 2000 lb main unit that takes fifty taper tooling. The
              #31 weighs in at about 65 pounds, making it small and light enough to be
              lugged on and off of a small lathe.

Thanks for your inquiry, hopefully I answered some questions. Feel free
              to call.
              Brian Healy, President
              VersaMil, Inc.
              8800 SW Brabham Way, Gaston, OR 97119 (USA)
              503/985-0119 or Fax 503/985-7986
              e-mail: [email protected] or Website: http://www.versamil.com

----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thank you all. Good info there. I've read more up on the mill than when I useda run it. :-)
                Dennis

Comment

Working...
                X