Anybody Make there own guns???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Make there own guns???

Anyway, I guy I know makes his own blackpowder rifles. And he got me interested. Now he wont teach me!!! So I want to know how too. Are there anybooks out there on the subject? Also, what size machines will I need? And, what kind of materials should I use?
    Thanks,
    Chris

------------------
    Duct Tape, the most widely used tool!!
    Whenever you hear BOOM in a machine shop, always ask, \"Finish Cut?\"

jeeper you will find this strangeI was nearly forty before I saw a real gun and that was in Florida I coudn't believe it when I saw them on sale.I called my three boys over and we all stared for ages and pointed at it .The shop assistant looked a bit nervous at first he must have thought we were nuts.When I explained we had never seen a real one before he thought we were even more crazy.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Here is a great place to start for information on blackpowder guns and a lot of other things.

http://www.dixiegun.com/cgi-local/So...0701+966918382

I built my first blackpowder gun from individual parts and plans I got from these folks in 1978.

Buy the catalogue - there is enough there to keep you reading for years - it is much more than a list of things for sale.

* all the usual disclaimers

------------------
      Craig
      Craig

Comment

Blackpowder, huh? Check out 'Foxfire 5', edited by Eliot Wiggington. Your library will have the Foxfire stuff, I'm sure. This will go well with your Gingery tools! Great foundation piece about how to make something from nuttin'. Then go to Dixie Gun Works and buy the pieces parts.

Comment

Alistair, With the percussion form of ignition being invented by a Scot (Rev. Forsythe), I do find it hard to believe what you say about not seeing a real one until you were at that age, but since you've said it, I'll believe it!! However, I do realize that laws are far tougher and more restrictive in your part of the world than here.

P.S. Do you have a good claymore stashed in the thatching?

Al Messer

Comment

Thanks everybody for the replies. I will order the catalog. So, you think that those gingery machines will handle it? This trade is great. I love makin something, out of nuttin.
            Thanks,
            Chris

------------------
            Duct Tape, the most widely used tool!!
            Whenever you hear BOOM in a machine shop, always ask, \"Finish Cut?\"

Comment

Alistair,

I'll venture a question here and reveal my ignorance. Are guns illegal in Britain or did you lead a sheltered life? Exposure to guns here is quite natural. I hunted with my Grandfather as a child, had my own 22 at twelve and carried an M16 in Vietnam. Haven't touched one since but that is my choice. I guess my background is pretty similar to a lot of the US folks on this BBS. I too am interested in muzzle loaders since they have been such an important factor of history. I have been seriuosly considering buying one of Dixie Gun Works kits. I find it strange that almost all of their reproduction muzzle loaders are made in Japan or Italy.

Jim

Jim

Comment

If you're interested in blackpowder rifles you might like to join the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association. The website is www.nmlra.org. They have a monthly magazine MuzzleBlasts that has lots of good info in it and plenty of advertisers for anything you will need to build and shoot a muzzleloader. National Shoots are held at Friendship, Indiana in June and September of each year. There is a commercial row at the shoot and you can find anything for a muzzleloader there. They also have a Western National shoot in February in Arizona.

Bill Wheelock

Comment

alistair...

i remember an insertion in " the american rifleman", circa 1939 -1940 begging for any extra guns to be sent to england,because there were not enough guns for the home guard to fend off the expected mainland invasion!........in 1917 we were manufacturing enfields in 303 for england(not lee-enfields ) when armistice was declared...i remember class stopped & the bells rang at 11;00in the 30's......recently read that britains crime rate is out of sight since the gun" banning" & that they now have daylight robberies since the criminals have no fear of being SHOT in the home!....good luck on the next prospective invasion ....maybe u can enlist the criminals since they will still have their weapons ,just at an increased cost of doing business

best wishes
                  docn8as
                  docn8as

Comment

Jim, docn8as, and others,

Only hand guns have been made illegal in the UK, following the Dunblane killings. This was a lamentable 'knee jerk' reaction that was used to cover up the incompetence of the authorities that issued the firearm licences. The madman involved with these shootings was a member of a gun club, and had been reported (by responsible members of the GC) to the licencing authorities on numerous occasions about his mental state and unsuitability to have guns in his pocession. No action was taken against him by the authorities, now all shooters have had to suffer as a result of his actions.

We are however still able to own and use Firearm rifles, and shotguns (and to quote from my licence for my shotgun "...a shotgun is a smooth bore gun with a barrel of greater than 24" length that is no greater than 2" bore diameter"....!). The numbers of licences for all weapons is around 3 million, with a total of 5 million guns legally held. The number of illegal guns is estimated to be i.t.r.o over 10 million. A lot of these guns were WWII booty (I was once asked by a widow to dispose of her husbands 'momentoes' a Sten gun, a BAR, and a Schmeiser Machine Pistol), but there is an increasing trend for illegal weapons to be entering the country from Eastern Europe.

The wrong and bad will always have access to firearms, legislation will not stop this from happening. I learnt from my visits to the US that 'Hot' burglaries were very rare in the US due to the high incidence of the villains expecting a 0.38" coming the other way as they enter premises. Here in the UK a recent case had a lonely rural farmer jailed for 3 years for gunning down 2 thieves who had entered his house!

My rant is over....I'm sure you will have a furore for 'gun control' in the US after this sniper incident in Washington. You can never legislate for a madman.

RR

Comment

"You can never legislate for a madman" Truer words have never been spoken. Wish you were in the U.S. Senate!!

Comment

Al,

Thanks for the vote Al ~ free South Bends and B'ports to all HSM's would be my manifesto!

Seriously, I do get annoyed at the head in the sand view of a lot of British people when it comes to guns. I was brought up with a shotgun resting in the corner of my bedroom ~ so Pop Raglan could knock out a few bunnies in the lettuce patch of a morning. I have 4 shotguns which are my pride and joy, A Belgian FN Browning superposed, a Beretta SO4 Gamescene, a Browning B125 (Japanese metalwork, hand finished at Liege in Belgium ~ similar to a Citori) and an English 1930's Armstrong 16 bore side by side. Like a car, a gun is only as dangerous as the nut that holds the trigger (in the car it's the nut that holds the steering wheel!)

I quite often get looked upon as some sort of freak for owning a shotgun - and why on earth do you want 4? My reply is how many clothes does your wife own ~ why not just one dress, well she has to wear something different for different occasions, right? Same with a gun ~ one breaks skeet clays, one breaks trap clays, one breaks FITASC clays, and one breaks my heart!!

At least to own a gun in the UK you have to be of good character with no previous convictions, and now thanks to Dunblane have no mental illness record at the local practitioners. At least I can prove I'm not bad or mad!!

All this leads to a friend of mine who had his shotgun stolen from his house, whilst on holiday, despite being locked in a secure gun cabinet and the place being alarmed to the nearest police sation!!

A couple of weeks later the police asked if he could identify a shotgun they had recovered. When he saw it, it had had the stock roughly sawn off and the barrels hacked down to about 9" length (it was a beautiful Beretta SO5 - worth about آ£7000). He broke down in tears, when the copper asked him why he was crying he said "...'cus it's a crime to do such a thing to a gun like that...". The policeman said "...Well what about the poor drug dealer that was killed by it..." "Good riddance to the bastard" is what my friend replied. The policeman said something along the lines of "..You gun owners have no morals.

Think about it....

Bloody hell ....Second rant in a day!!

RR

Comment

Pity it didn't take out a few more of 'em before the coppers snaffled it
                          Tel

Comment

R. R.,

we have some people with the same "syndrome" here in the States, they think that the only people qualified to own or use a firearm are those that "wear a badge". Well, I have worked "around" law inforcement several times in my life, and contrary to what some of them may think, they are neither Omni-present or Omniscient. As strange as it may sound, 100 years ago when most every adult male and a lot of females were armed, our society was a LOT MORE POLITE. If you accidently bumped into someone on a crowded sidewalk, you said "Pardon me, or excuse me" that the other party would (if they were intelligent) say "That's All right" or words to similar effect. Nobody would get mad and call the offending party a M....F.. because if they had, chances are they would have been "called out" and made to back up their "freedom of speech" with Col. Colt's invention..

Comment

gun carrying makes polite people? Damn sure you are goingto be polite to all, when that little old lady, with thennis shoes, thick glasses and gray hair, and a big hand bag may be the meanest toughest, person in the rough bar and have a sawed off shot gun in that purse.

I propose all in favor of no guns post ,at tax payer expense plus a $10.00 reward for being in favor of gun control, a nice sign saying "there are no guns in this house". If we give them the sign, they gotta post it or pay 50.00 to dispose of the sign. THats my soluton to the national debt problem for a few years. and a permenate solution to the control crowd's loud talking. course, if they are right, and crime goes down after they post, i am going to post me a sign too and vote for gun control!!!!!!. Meanwhile Mr Colt and I remain close associates
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X