Figured out the TIG pedal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figured out the TIG pedal!

I had posted about my TIG pedal safari and all the time that went into rigging it up and then I couldn't tell if it was working.

Well Les Webb posted a reply about my ground wire to the pedal not being hooked up and I realized what the problem was. I had to replace the 3 prong plug because I couldn't find a male counterpart that would fit and in the process I had the lead from the pot wiper grounded to the machine chassis..

I unscrewed the plug from the machine so it's not grounded and the pedal began controlling the current. I can now tell that it's backwards because when the pedal is all the way down the current is low.

I guess I need to get a 4 prong plug and hook the ground wire up.

I fooled around with some C25 gas from my MIG and it's pretty neat!

I'm just relieved that it's sorted out.
    Techno-Anarchist

hoffman,
    glad to hear you tracked it down.
    post some pictures of your first tig welds.. if you can / don't mind.

-tony

Comment

I should be tig welding with it next week. The C25 did allow me to test the remote current control but it turned the tungsten black and started eroding it.

I was able to chase a puddle around some before the tungsten lost its point. It's kind of hypnotizing to watch the metal melt without burning s hole. I fooled with some 14 ga steel.
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Fantastic! You'll be hooked on welding for a long time now. And the electric company will love you for it.

rock-
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

The torch cooler seemed to work pretty well too... There were several sub-projects involved in this one. So far I'm tickled pink!
          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I look foreward to pics of what you've got going on. good job

Samuel

Comment

Nice to hear you got it perking. When you post the pictures of your first welds, could you make them in hi-res and large size. I'd like to have them printed to a large pring and hung up in my shop as inspiration!
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Geez, I can see the shine from you're grinning teeth all the way down here. If it's that much fun, I may have to get me a TIG too.

Comment

Working...
                X