No announcement yet.

My Buggy Build Update (Lots-o-Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Buggy Build Update (Lots-o-Pictures)

I've been working like crazy on my Buggy lately. Here are some recent pictures I took tonight:

Here are a set of 8 A-Arm brackets I finished making on my Bridgeport:

Here is one upper A-Arm with my new brackets:

Here is one upper A-Arm with the new brackets installed:

Here is one upper A-Arm test-fited to the upper frame member:

Continued.......

Here Are some pictures of the front end in mock-up stages:

Continued....

Comment

Here are some pictures of the completed rear drive unit. I still have to make a 1/4" Keyway on each stub-axle, but they are complete now. I turned down the diff'd bearing seats on my lathe to exactly 1.5" OD and bought a new set of flange bearings with 2" wide 1.5" ID, and I installed a pair of roller needle bearings inside each flange bearing (1.5" OD, 1" ID) which support the 1" OD stub axles. It's a rock solid unit now ready for more power and torque than I'll ever throw at it:

-Adrian

Comment

Just a mockup? So those aren't structural Gatorade bottles?

Looks great so far, but I'd fab a cover of some kind for that diff, to keep gunk out of the spider gears.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Yup, I'm going to weld up a nice sealed alum housing that slips over the diff. I'll make that soon. Since there is no Ring/Pinion that need constant lubricant, I only need to keep the inside of the diff lightly oiled. Nothing moves inside the differential except when it's providing differential speeds so I'll just lightly oil it inside before sealing it up. There are some holes on the side that I might braze closed but I'm not sure if brazing will work ..... We'll see.

-Adrian

Comment

No doubt about it Adrian,you are a clever fellow! .And who would have thought of building it up on the bench,much easier on your back.I just hope you have a good size crane to lift it off when you're done.Excellent workmanship!

------------------
            Hans
            Hans

Comment

Ambitious looking project there 3phase! Nice work. I thought it was mostly done with smoke and mirriors, was surprised to see such a serious role played by Gatoraide
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice work!! I always knew there was a good use for empty gatoraid bottles . Can't wait to see this one run, should be a blast.

Jim

------------------
                Jim Koper
                J&R Machining
                Jim Koper
                J&R Machining

Comment

Sweet! You're making some real progress!
                  Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Very COOL!!! Thanks for posting some new pics.

Comment

Thanks for all of the kind words folks! I've been having so much fun building it, I'm not even really looking forward to playing with it. I'm sure once the projects nears completion I'll start getting anxious, but the rewards of building it are much higher than I originally expected.

-Adrian

Comment

3PH, looks like a great machine, Thanks for the photos. Just one comment, Have you noticed that all of your pipe is upside down? Hope it doesn’t have any effect on the structural strength.
                        Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

You might want to put a pipe plug in that diff cover. Those clutch discs generate some crap and you will want to add some lube every now and then.
                          James Kilroy

Comment

Dang! I think even I'm beginning to like it. I better go out and get me a case of Gatorade and get busy.

Just one question/comment: How will you fine tune the alignment? I don't see any adjustments for caster, camber, toe. Not that it matters too much on an off-road but you don't want it "crabbing" on the trails. Might take away from control.

Comment

I thinks its a torsen...no discs, just gears. Id still put a plug in it however....

Comment

Working...
                              X