Uncrated the new Grizzly 9972Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncrated the new Grizzly 9972Z

And even the inspection record and owners manual STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN!!

What IS that Yak mhung they slather on there?

So anyway, it's heavy and green and looks the business so far...except for the plastic gear behind the main pulley. That was a surprise.
    And they certainly don't employ anyone in secondary operations.

And they really should have at least one sighted employee in sheet metal and paint.

But I have other Grizzly machines so that was expected.

WD40 and half a roll of paper towels so far and I'm not even past the tail stock and I really DO want to replace all their fasteners.
    Don't trust them at all.
    And if Allen Mfg. is still getting a royalty they're wealthy off this lot. Never heard of hex-head?

And did I mention it stinks?

Any way, wish me luck that I shouldn't have a strain getting this into the cellar.
    Oy vey it's heavy IRT!
    Len

I wish you luck! best of all fun! Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And they really should have at least one sighted employee in sheet metal and paint.</font>
      ROFLMAO!

Use Kerosene or paint thinner (mineral spirits). It usually works faster.

Forgot: The socket head cap screws give it a more "professional" look when it comes to machinery. Besides, the hex heads you buy now days are probably made in the same China factory.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 06-15-2005).]

Comment

If it's anything like my Jet 9 x 20, replace ALL screws, t-bolts, etc. After that, not a bad machine. And, yes, I went through a gallon of kero cleaning off the packing grease.
        Rgds, Lin

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot. Better to destroy one plastic gear than the whole train/screw if you have a leedle mishap. (don't ask)

Comment

" except for the plastic gear behind the main pulley. That was a surprise"

Hmmm, thats odd. My G9972Z doesnt have ANY plastic gears.

See? ---&gt; http://tinypic.com/dyq87l.jpg

Dont mind the mess! I'm in the process of refinishing my machine. No more icky smelling green paint for ME!

[This message has been edited by Schutzhund (edited 09-25-2005).]

Comment

QSIMDO,
              You were warned! How many times did you hear the comment "Stay away from Chinese machine tools, they really stink"
              Good luck and have fun,
              Ed

Ed Pacenka

Comment

One thing that can save a lot of time removing grease and protective coatings is a brass or stainless (easy on the finished surfaces with the SS) brush. Hit it with the WD40 or your favorite solvent, brush it lightly and it's good to go (off onto the towels). Another light wipe with solvent and it's clean. Den

Comment

I hope you are a better machinist than you are a Electrician!! is that an adapter to bypass a ground circuit on the end of the power cord?? Shame on you!! Actually, the plastic gear might save the rest of the gears someday when you have the “Big Wreck

Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

I'm sorry, that was not your machine, It was Schutzhund who used the adapter! Sorry!Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                    Oregon Coast

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lugnut:
                      IActually, the plastic gear might save the rest of the gears someday when you have the “Big Wreck

Mel
                      </font>
                      its the design shear pin, at least that's what an owner was told when buying replacement plastic gears after the wreck.

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 09-24-2005).]
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mcgyver:
                        [B] its the design shear pin, at least that's what an owner was told when buying replacement plastic gears after the wreck.

congrat and have fun with it
                        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Actually, what little smell that lingers on after cleaning has become somewhat comforting and inviting.
                          It means I'm in the shop and having a ball...chips flyin' everywhere and even accomplishing some projects!

Can't wait to get a miller now.
                          Len

Comment

Schutzund...HOLY MAXED OUT PICTURE SIZE!
                            Guys on dialup or with older machines hate that. It also makes all the posts wider.
                            QSIMDO...congrats! Yes that is a vile stink! I used varsol on most of my 14X40 along with brake clean. Took along time to get the smell out of my hands.
                            Like weird says...that there is poggy (fish gut metal protectant)
                            Russ
                            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

When I cleaned the cosmoline-like gunk off my Griz mill, I just used a set of surgical gloves, a few paper towels and a small razor blade scraper (with a new blade) to carefully peel it all off the finished surfaces.

Then I used some old rags and less than a pint of diesel to wipe the residue off.

Worked great, only took a couple of hours, tops.

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X