Tools rusting in storage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools rusting in storage???

How can I keep my tools from rusting in my tool box when I cant control the environment. I.E. Humidity
    Mark

I have heard that camphor will work, an old fellow once told me he kept a urinal cake in his toolbox, said it gave off camphor fumes and prevented rust. I havn't tried it myself.

------------------
    Jim
    Jim

Comment

I read somewhere that mothballs prevent rust. I believe it was in an old issue of the homeshop machinist.
      NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

BUT, don't the mothes protest?

------------------
        The tame Wolf !

Comment

Don't open them in a warm environment when they are cold. Plays hell with our cameras at work.

I had trouble in the Spring with warm moist Southern air when the barn was still frozen. The barn was really drafty at that time and every bit of cast iron I own rusted almost overnight. My mill hadn't even been plugged in as it was still new and it was all rusted up.

Neither WD-40 nor silicon spray did anything for me.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Starrett m1 oil and bags of dessicant in the drawers of your tool box. My stuff look like new 30 thrity years later.
            Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

I'm in eastern Iowa and we have some violent changes in weather. I've had my machines actually drip water on the floor at times. But I don't have any rust on tools or machines. I spray everything likely to rust with a spray made of 90% kerosene or even gasoline (to dry fast) and 10% motor oil. I've had no success with WD-40 or anything else. The motor oil works great!
              Using gasoline is not as dangerous as it seems. Don't smoke or have an open flame of course. But the thing is that the spray required is very light, don't have to drown the tools. So the gas eveporates real quick reducing the mess.

Dick

Comment

WD-40 and Silicon are only incidentally rust preventatives, and with weather changes here no amount of dessicant will work.
                I have had the best luck with Boeshield T-9, developed by Boeing Aircraft, and then lining the drawers of my tool chest with VPI paper and keeping the drawers and top closed.

Ed
                Ed Bryant

Comment

WD-40 is good if you're going to walk away from something for a day or two...
                  Beyond that, it's not worth much.

I've just started using LPS-3 spray-on rust preventative..
                  So far, it's been very good. Light oily and kinda waxy.
                  I sprayed a piece of steel and left it outside for a couple days... no rust. Harly a definitive test, but my area is only 2 miles from the pacific and we have condensing water falling out of the air pretty much every night all year long.

If I work in my shop in the winter, warm it up while I'm in it, and then leave... couple hours later as it cools down, there is water dripping off of my lathe and mill, and spots of water forming on any steel surface.
                  I'm hoping that the LPS-3 is going to help keep rust off my &#@* tools!

Paul F

Comment

This may sound bad but I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is frustrated with this problem. I have also tried WD-40 much to my disappointment. Dessicants don't last long at all. But I am very curious about the LPS product. Would you be so kind as to give me more information.
                    Mark

Comment

I was curious too.....

http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/CorrosionInh/Lps3.asp
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Go to the grocery store and buy a jug of silica gel kitty litter (cheap). Put a cupful in a paper lunch bag and put it in with the tools. Bake the bag in the oven at 250 for an hour or two every 6 months to renew it.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-18-2005).]
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Guys:

You may like LPS-3 as I do for semi-permanent corrosion fighting, but is not what you want for fairly regular use. It is waxy and almost hard to clean off the tools when you want to use them. Great for stuff you leave in the rain for three years, but not what we all want here.

Gwinn
                          gwindt

Comment

For myself I use Jhonson paste wax for floor on table of wood machines and Starret M1 for metalworking machines. Never had rust since

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gwinn:
                              Guys:

You may like LPS-3 as I do for semi-permanent corrosion fighting, but is not what you want for fairly regular use. It is waxy and almost hard to clean off the tools when you want to use them. Great for stuff you leave in the rain for three years, but not what we all want here.

Gwinn
                              </font>
                              That answered my question of how user friendly it (LPS) is. Have you tried Starrett M1? I have rust problems with items left unattended for as little as a week.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X