I want to build an aquariun stand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to build an aquariun stand...

A trip to the fair yeilded 2 goldfish, which spawned a trip to petsmart, which led to an aquarium, I guess you get the idea...

I told my wife I could build one out of steel welded tubing but she's not gonna have any industrial looking stuff in the living room. It's not a big one, just 15 gallons but she wants a stand with a drawer or cabinet or something. I think I could pull it off and it may make her happy and help her understand how important and essential it is to have a small industrial complex in the backyard...

I'm not real clever so I was wondering if anyone had any pics of something I could handle with my limited skills. I was thinking about a tiled top which would impress her... maybe... Maybe just a simple wood cabinet door with a magnetic catch.

I'd love to try an aluminum framed stand with a polished diamond treadplate top and some awesome "row of coins" TIG welds in the corners but I think I'd better get to practicing first
    Techno-Anarchist

Start collecting machinery for a wood shop.

Comment

It's going to be made out of welded tubing. I really don't want to catch woodworkers disease...

I wish the plasma cutter would hurry up and get here because I could cut a pattern in something like 16 ga. and use it for the sides and front cabinet door.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap spotwelder? May come in handy on this one

God help me...

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 10-23-2005).]
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Paint it with some of that fancy spray paint they sell nowadays in a color that matches.

Comment

I would build it out of angle iron. 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/16" for the top miterd (The tank fits inside with 1/2" lip on the outside. Either build the legs with the same angle, or DOM seamless. Build a few shelfs inside the legs too with the angle and fit some laminated MDF,etc.

-Adrian

Comment

What is wrong with the industrial look? The more industrial and shined up, the better?!!!!!
            CCBW, MAH

Comment

Goldfish .... a likely story.

If you're going to use it to store your rusty ol' machines (and make them feel at home) you're going to need a much bigger tank.

[This message has been edited by sauer38h (edited 10-23-2005).]

Comment

I could probably keep a Taig in there...
                Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Hoffman,

I would send you this for a start on a spot welder but the shipping would be more than buying one new.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

after you've got the goldfish goin....get yerself an oscar. those are fun fish.

when mine died five years ago it was in a 100 gallon tank, eating a few goldfish a day and the about 8" long. I needed a bigger tank.

He would have lived longer, but I didn't catch the ick in time

-Jacob

Comment

Find someone with a mig welder. I go around on trash day and pick up all the old angle-iron bed frames that go out in the trash. Its great because I don't have to go out early in the morning because the trash pickup won't take any metal so they sit there all day for the taking. The largest tank I have is a 20 gallon (high). The angle iron is mostly the 1" category which is plenty strong. Better yet go buy a welder and tell the wife you need it to make a fish tank stand. I used a similar ploy to buy a mig. Uncrichie...

Comment

Thanks guys, but about the spot welder, I was kind of goofin' on this post:
                        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/014001.html

I may get one though...
                        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...and help her understand how important and essential it is to have a small industrial complex in the backyard...</font>
                          ROFLMAO...

I remember those days.

Comment

You could get rich making these is right! It's all in the marketing and shutting down flea markets and yard sales

I only paid $4.50 for this stand but had the guy stuck to his guns I would have had to go the whole $5.00 but then it's been said I'm cheap and a heartless negotiator If this one had a little more rust on it, that is to say more of a challenge I'd send it on down to you!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 10-23-2005).]
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                            X