Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    You could get rich making these is right! It's all in the marketing and shutting down flea markets and yard sales

I only paid $4.50 for this stand but had the guy stuck to his guns I would have had to go the whole $5.00 but then it's been said I'm cheap and a heartless negotiator If this one had a little more rust on it, that is to say more of a challenge I'd send it on down to you!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 10-23-2005).]

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...and help her understand how important and essential it is to have a small industrial complex in the backyard...</font>
    ROFLMAO...

I remember those days.

Leave a comment:

• hoffman
    replied
    Thanks guys, but about the spot welder, I was kind of goofin' on this post:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/014001.html

I may get one though...

Leave a comment:

• uncrichie
    replied
    Find someone with a mig welder. I go around on trash day and pick up all the old angle-iron bed frames that go out in the trash. Its great because I don't have to go out early in the morning because the trash pickup won't take any metal so they sit there all day for the taking. The largest tank I have is a 20 gallon (high). The angle iron is mostly the 1" category which is plenty strong. Better yet go buy a welder and tell the wife you need it to make a fish tank stand. I used a similar ploy to buy a mig. Uncrichie...

Leave a comment:

• snowman
    replied
    after you've got the goldfish goin....get yerself an oscar. those are fun fish.

when mine died five years ago it was in a 100 gallon tank, eating a few goldfish a day and the about 8" long. I needed a bigger tank.

He would have lived longer, but I didn't catch the ick in time

-Jacob

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Hoffman,

I would send you this for a start on a spot welder but the shipping would be more than buying one new.

Leave a comment:

• hoffman
    replied
    I could probably keep a Taig in there...

Leave a comment:

• sauer38h
    replied
    Goldfish .... a likely story.

If you're going to use it to store your rusty ol' machines (and make them feel at home) you're going to need a much bigger tank.

[This message has been edited by sauer38h (edited 10-23-2005).]

Leave a comment:

• spope14
    replied
    What is wrong with the industrial look? The more industrial and shined up, the better?!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would build it out of angle iron. 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/16" for the top miterd (The tank fits inside with 1/2" lip on the outside. Either build the legs with the same angle, or DOM seamless. Build a few shelfs inside the legs too with the angle and fit some laminated MDF,etc.

-Adrian

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied

Paint it with some of that fancy spray paint they sell nowadays in a color that matches.

Leave a comment:

• hoffman
    replied
    It's going to be made out of welded tubing. I really don't want to catch woodworkers disease...

I wish the plasma cutter would hurry up and get here because I could cut a pattern in something like 16 ga. and use it for the sides and front cabinet door.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap spotwelder? May come in handy on this one

God help me...

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 10-23-2005).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Start collecting machinery for a wood shop.

Leave a comment:

• hoffman
    started a topic I want to build an aquariun stand...

I want to build an aquariun stand...

A trip to the fair yeilded 2 goldfish, which spawned a trip to petsmart, which led to an aquarium, I guess you get the idea...

I told my wife I could build one out of steel welded tubing but she's not gonna have any industrial looking stuff in the living room. It's not a big one, just 15 gallons but she wants a stand with a drawer or cabinet or something. I think I could pull it off and it may make her happy and help her understand how important and essential it is to have a small industrial complex in the backyard...

I'm not real clever so I was wondering if anyone had any pics of something I could handle with my limited skills. I was thinking about a tiled top which would impress her... maybe... Maybe just a simple wood cabinet door with a magnetic catch.

I'd love to try an aluminum framed stand with a polished diamond treadplate top and some awesome "row of coins" TIG welds in the corners but I think I'd better get to practicing first
Working...
X