Don't clean calipers with vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't clean calipers with vinegar

I bought several used calipers on ebay and when they arrived I noticed they were covered in a light surface rust so I soaked them overnight in straight vinegar. Imagine my surprise when I removed them and discovered that several of the spring clips had broken in half. How could this have happened?

vinegar is an acid. Why would you put them in an acid?

Comment

Weak acid solutions such as acetic acid in water (vinegar) promote stress corrosion cracking in steels. This is especially enhanced if the vinegar contains salt which many cooking vinegars do. Spring steels, both carbon and especially stainless steels are susceptible to chloride induced stress corrosion cracking and the effects are most pronounced when the metal is under strain such as in a spring.

When a spring under strain with a minor crack defect is placed in such an environment the crack formation proceeds eponentially to failure.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Even phosphoric, which is usually really benign, will attack stressed areas.

I de-rusted some gage pins. They weren't in that long, but they were probably case-hardened, since the corrosion followed lines very similar in shape to the decorative oxidation found on some case-hardened tooling... like Lufkin surface gage bases, etc. (no the pins weren't rusted all over, just some at the end, so there WAS a point to de-rusting)

If the part is stressed when in the acid, that allows a progressive failure. Corrodes at teh stress point, fails thru the corrosion, exposes more surface, corrodes that, etc, etc, etc......

Kind of like stretching a sheet of rubber and touching a knife blade to the edge..... you can follow a cut all aacross the sheet, and yet apply really no force at all.

If you had removed the springs first, they might have not had any noticeable damage from a short immersion.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Kinda like brushing your teeth with live hornets, Huh?

I don't know how I came up with that but the image of dramatic deeds and forseeable consequences was sure vivid.

Comment

Boy I bet you feel stupid now,Huh

------------------
            The tame Wolf !

Comment

Up here in canada we put vinegar on our motorcycle goggles to clean dead bugs off em. I thought thats what they made it for. PS It sure tastes funny.

Comment

Hmm, thats like cleaning your lathe with Tabasco sauce.

Comment

Don't put beans up your nose, either! A.T.

Comment

Hehehehehhehehehe,

This reminds me of the guy that was processing habenero hot peppers all day long, and forgot to wash his hands before rubbing his eyes. It was an enlightening experience, indeed.
                    I can only please one person at a time per day. Today isn\'t your day. Tomorrow isn\'t looking good either.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madman:
                      Up here in canada we put vinegar on our motorcycle goggles to clean dead bugs off em. I thought thats what they made it for. PS It sure tastes funny.</font>
                      Vinegar is for putting on fish and chips, but then........
                      Hmmmmm, protein enriched vinegar?

Ken

Ken.

Comment

I have a friend who once snorted not one but TWO jalapeno seeds up his nose. Not trying to get high or anything, he was just curious.
                        You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pneu-engine:
                          Hehehehehhehehehe,

This reminds me of the guy that was processing habenero hot peppers all day long, and forgot to wash his hands before rubbing his eyes. It was an enlightening experience, indeed.
                          </font>
                          (sorry for the waaaay ot) but this reminds me of a buddy, a fifty dollar bet and some jalepeno peppers. He was crying for most of the following hour.

Comment

Working...
                          X