OT - Veteran's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Veteran's Day

Just wishing all the best to all Vets to include our brothers and sisters in England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. May God bless all of you and especially those who have given their lives in the defense of freedom.

John B
    Former First Class Hospital Corpsman, USCG
    68 - 72
    John B

Wishing all vets of the "Lost Generation" (Korean War, 1950-53) all the best of luck and wishing all vets of all American campaigns anywhere the very best of luck and my sincere thanks for your contribution to American freedom.
    Old Glory unfurled. Long may it wave.
    Today we carve our own omens Leonidas at Thermopylae

Comment

I would like to say THANK YOU to each and every veteran who have helped keep this country free.
      God Bless You All,
      Pat Miles
      WANNABE

Comment

Oh! You who sleep in Flanders' Field
        Sleep sweet- to rise anew
        We caught the torch you threw
        And holding high we kept
        The Faith with those who died
        We, cherish too, the poppy red
        that grows on fields where valour led
        -------------------------------------
        And now the torch and poppy red
        wear in honour of the dead
        Fear not that ye have have died for naught
        We've learned the lesson that ye taught
        In Flanders' Fields

written by an American lady two days before the Armistice in 1918.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Lawson:
          Wishing all vets of the "Lost Generation" (Korean War, 1950-53) all the best of luck and wishing all vets of all American campaigns anywhere the very best of luck and my sincere thanks for your contribution to American freedom.
          Old Glory unfurled. Long may it wave.
          </font>
          Mr Lawson. Thank you for acknowledgeing the brave souls protecting our freedoms and way of life.

USS Kearsarge, CVA 33, Essex class attack carrier, late Sept '52 for 5 months, Task force 77, Korea. Loved the smell of 115/145 in the morning, and the sound of an R 2800 still make my heart pound.

Wheels down, flaps down, hook down. LOD

Comment

A somber day...
            I fear too many people today view this day as just another day off with pay.
            I'm proud to say that I turned down a job for today that would have paid over $450 (union outfit...all double time).
            I absolutely refuse to work on Rememberance Day.
            I've spent most of the morning reminding people on other boards I frequent that today is a sacred day.
            I was very suprised how many boards had no mention of this day.
            They were sternly reminded.
            I'd like to thank anyone on this board who fought in the wars for us.
            My Dad and some Uncles served and I'm very proud of them.
            My brother served as a Peacekeeper for about 8 years in many different places...and we're kinda proud of him also.
            May God Bless.
            Russ
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

jr45acp, thanks for bringing this up.

Gene Anderson, former FN, USCG, 64-68

Gene

Comment

I attended our little town's observance this morning, and the applause was overwhelming when they called up the members of the 278th RCT who had just returned from Iraq to the front to join with the rest of the veterans who went all the way back to WWII. For some reason, my vision kind of misted over for a few moments----! And when they unveiled the memorial with the newest name chiseled into the stone, that of Sgt. Gary Reece, you could have heard a pin drop! Freedom is NOT free!

Comment

It's the soldier, not the reporter who has given us
                  Freedom of the Press.
                  It's the soldier, not the poet, who has given us
                  Freedom of Speech.
                  It's the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the
                  Freedom to Demonstrate.
                  It's the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the
                  Right to a Fair Trial.
                  It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves under the flag and
                  whose coffin is draped by the flag,
                  Who gives the protestor the right to burn the flag.
                  ~Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I was sitting in the live truck waiting for "showtime" as we call it when my cellphone buzzed. I thought it was the office. It was a co-worker, a retired Marine, who was scheduled off. He just called to wish me a happy Veterans Day. I wished him one back. It was the only phone call I had yesterday.

I say that because folks need to know that when they take the time to do something like that it does cut-some-ice with some of us.

I sometimes wonder why my sister doesn't even call. She renounced me as a baby-killer in 67, later at her 50th birthday party she gave me a tearfull apology but no phone calls yesterday from her.

If you have to ask for a little recognition of your time spent, what the hell good is it when you get it?

Thanks
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I sometimes wonder why my sister doesn't even call. She renounced me as a baby-killer in 67, later at her 50th birthday party she gave me a tearfull apology but no phone calls yesterday from her.

I've been spit on and screamed at by American's when I cane home. Yesterday I got two phone calls from Marines (no such thing as an EX Marine) and one from my Daughter.
                      Jim
                      Jim
                      Phinney Bay Machine Works

Comment

Last night, I watched a documentary of the Kiwi involvement in WW1. With a load of footage of the actual events and interviews with existing family members, letters home from the men/women. Passchendaele, Gallipoli, Somme ...So much war fodder.....
                        I have not been involved with war and cannot begin to understand its reality.

A sincere thank you to those men and women who have gone before and to those who go now.

To the polititions who play games with our lives...get a stiff one up you.

Ken
                        Ken.

Comment

Working...
                        X