Brazing with Copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazing with Copper

I am wondering if heavy ga Copper wire can be laid downand built up on a piece of iron, ie build up about 1/8" layer on steel? I'm thinking of the same way that brass could be done with a Ox/Act torch.

Walt
    Walt

Good one Walt! You got me. I've tig welded copper to copper but never thought of trying it on steel. It's sort of a crap shoot when welding copper, that is when using electrical solid wire for filler.
    I finally found an old piece from an old demolished building that works well.
    The new wire is terrible to weld with. I think it has some undesirable alloys in it. The old stuff is far more ductile so I'm assuming it is pure or near pure copper.
    If I get time tomorrow I'll try some on steel.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

To weld copper you need to use oxygen free copper or deoxidized copper. That old wire is probably oxygen free. Normally they use what is called tough pitch copper for electrical wire and it doesn't weld well.

Whatever you are doing it will probably make a good thermostat with a layer of copper that thick. It should bend and warp with temperature change nicely.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My thoughts are to make a slip ring for a ground on a table to weld round objects...was trying to avoid silver soldering a piece of copper pipe on this thing, as if a piece about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches wide would be easy to find.

Walt
        Walt

Comment

Walt, not sure if this will work for your application. Strip the insulation of a old welding lead and wrap around your 6" diameter a couple times and snug up and clamp cable to the staionary part and the 6" diameter will spin while the cable is stationary. Made a weld positioner with this method years ago and had no problems.

Gary

My thoughts are to make a slip ring for a ground on a table to weld round objects... piece about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches wide would be easy to find.

Comment

Easest way to make a slip ring on the cheap is pick up some bus bar copper about 1 inch wide and 1/8" thick at an electrical supply house. you may have to call around but most of them can get it around here (SE MICH) cut it in to 1" long pieces and mount to the turn table with one screw end closest to the center hub almost touching. works on repairing some carnival type rides for lighting juice when the cast rings wore out. Or use a EMT bender to form a circle in 1/2" copper pipe and then screw that down to the pipe.
            Glen
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I did one some time ago. I used an eight inch, quarter inch thick piece of brass. Polished contact side and used car starter brushes for the contacts. when the rotator was retired it had almost thirty thousand pieces that had been mig welded on it.
              my two cents worth
              re
              Herm Williams

Comment

Herm, your idea is something I missed, didn't think of using the side...had a brain lock of only using the face.

Thanks Walt
                Walt

Comment

Working...
                X