6" atlas lathe manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" atlas lathe manual

I was wondering if anyone had a manual for an atlas 6" lathe model 618 S/N 010582. We got one for a friend of mine but no manual came with it. If anyone could photo copy one, I would be glad to pay photo copy and shipping charges, too.
    Thanks for your help, Rick.

[This message has been edited by chip's (edited 11-10-2002).]

Manuals for the Atlas lathe are on E-bay all the time for sale some reprint and some originals.
    Also there are many Atlas web sights that can be very helpful for most question on parts and running of lathe.
    there is a fine line
    between \"hobby\" and
    mental illness

Comment

I have the manual for the Atlas 6" model 10100 that I purchased new in 1980. This is the newer version with the cast aluminum headstock. I think most of the parts and operations are similar to yours. If I can be of any help, contact me at [email protected]

Wes
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Wes,
        Thanks so much for your offer, It just so happens I have this same book for my lathe. This lathe was gotten for a friend of mine. I looked all over in the manual to try and find adjustments for the motor mount assy. I couldn't find anything, as the machine is too new, or the other machine is too old. I tried atlas site but still couldn't find it. Maybe I just looked in the wrong spots.
        If you have any ideas I would sure like to know, Rick.

Comment

Rick:
          I don't think that there is any provision for motor mounting. Just bolt the motor down to the bench or whatever the lathe is mounted on. I used a length of heavy channel iron for the lathe and motor and the channel iron just sets on a solid bench. The newer model lathe included an adjustable idler for belt tension, but no provision for the motor. Roll yer own.

Wes

Comment

Wes,
            I didn't explain properly. The question we have is adjusting the tension arm for the motor belt, from the lathe so the bolts seat properly. It may be ok as it is, but it sure looks wrong to me. I'm still not sure if I explained this right as I don't know what to call the parts. Thanks again, Rick.

Comment

Rick:
              On my lathe there is an extension on the back of the headstock with a slot in it. A long shaft fits in the slot,held in place with a nut & washer on the opposite side. The idler pulley rides on the shaft, held centered on the back of belt by flanges on the pulley.
              I have never used this feature. 22 years ago, I found it easier to pivot the motor at about 45آ° and allow the weight of the motor to maintain belt tension. Any drawbacks to this arrangement have yet to surface and am still using the original belt.

Wes

Comment

Wes,
                My lathe has the same set up. This older lathe we got for my friend has motor mounted solid and a tensioning device that pivots to tighten or loosen the belts by pulling a lever forward or back.
                I think it is worn and needs to be changed, or the bolts need to be replaced and adjusted so they sit on the flats of the lever shaft when the belts are tight. It may just need all adjusted, but it just looks wrong to me.
                Thanks so much for the info. I am very greatful to you. Thanks again, Rick.

Comment

Working...
                X