No announcement yet.

Brushed SS

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brushed SS

    Latest project includes 50 inch lengths of stainless, to be finished with a brushed surface. The widths are less than 2 inches.

    It's my call on the type of stainless. What abraisive? Wheel type of brush, mounted on Makita sidewinder? Belt sander?

    All help/comments appreciated.


  • #2
    You can actually buy stainless with a brushed finish- sheet, anyway.
    Brushed finish means different things to different people.
    But I often put a "brushed" finish on with scotchbrite type pads- either round ones, on the 4 1/2" grinder, which gives a swirly finish, or I use scotchbrite type nonabrasive belts for my belt sanders, which give a linear finish.
    Stainless is very hard, and chews through expensive abrasive quick, so if you can just finish the surface with scotchbrite, its a lot quicker and cheaper.
    The discs are available at almost all welding supply stores.
    I get the belts from Klingspor, mail order.
    Wire brushes will work too, or course- just make sure they are NEW stainless wire brushes. Because steel wire, or stainless wire that has been used on mild steel, will leave microscopic bits of mild on the stainless, which WILL rust at some point in the future.
    Its a pretty embarassing callback when your stainless rusts....


    • #3
      What Ries said. All of it, ESPECIALLY to check your info. The term is used liberally, and often by those not-so-well informed. I've seen it referred to as brushed when what they meant was a fine wet sand blast.


      • #4
        not to put too fine a point on nomenclature, a good finish can be had from a drum sander in the drill press. you can buy various dia's and just load inexpensive emery cloth of a grit that you are happy with. it works best with some sort of table, you could clamp something longer for the table like a piece of channel or tubing, then the brush marks will be nicely parallel to the work. obviously make sure you lathe bed or such isn't 'downwind' of the operation.


        • #5
          Where I work, 99% of what we do is stainless. Our 'standard' finish is what we call a #4 - which is done with nothing more than 150 grit emery cloth. Belt, drum and 'flap' polishing is how most of it gets done. It gives a pretty nice finish. About what you see on stainless sinks or other appliances.

          It takes a lot of work and time and is very messy / dirty. It also generates a LOT of heat! If you are doing sheet gauges, expect significant warpage. An option is to find someone with a Timesaver polishing machine. Many times this is done wet and will avoid a lot of the problems.


          Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

          Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!