Big Steel Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Steel Order

I'm finally going to stock up on steel material and was wondering what things I'm missing from my shopping list. I'm going to order everything locally and probably pick it up myself.

Angle Iron: 1" x 1" x 1/8", 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16", 1.25" x 1.25" x 1/8", and 2" x 2" x 3/16"

Square Tubes: 1.25" x 14ga, 1.25" x .120", 1" x 16g, and .75" x .083"

SCH40 Pipe: 1" ID (.133" wall), 3/4" ID (.113" wall), 1/2" ID (.109" wall)

Flats: 3/16" x 1.25", 1/4" x 1.25", 1/8" x 1.25"

Flats: 3/16" x 1", 1/4" x 1", 1/8" x 1"

Flats: 3/16" x 1.5", 1/4" x 1.5", 1/8" x 1.5"

Steel Plate: 3/16", 1/4"

Steel Sheet: 11ga, 16ga, 20ga

I've got plenty of solid rounds so I don't need any of those...

Any "special" sizes that I should be considering? The 1.25" and 1.5" flats seem to be what I have been using the most (mainly for tabs/brackets/etc).

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 12-14-2005).]

Steel for keyways.
    all the best.mark

Comment

I find that having some 1/8" thick strips, 1" wide, come in handy quite often. Often times you dont quite need the 1/4" thick.

Same goes for 1" x 1/8 wall angle iron. Just seems great for fabbing something up quick.

For steel sheet I prefer 11, 14 and 18...but that's just me. 11 is 1/8, 14 is 1/16 and 18 is body panel work.

-Jacob

Comment

Expanded steel mesh is handy material.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by snowman:
          I find that having some 1/8" thick strips, 1" wide, come in handy quite often. Often times you dont quite need the 1/4" thick.

Same goes for 1" x 1/8 wall angle iron. Just seems great for fabbing something up quick.

For steel sheet I prefer 11, 14 and 18...but that's just me. 11 is 1/8, 14 is 1/16 and 18 is body panel work.

-Jacob
          </font>

I've got the 1/8" x 1.25" strip (flats) in the list... I;ve also got 3/16 and 1/4" flats (both 1.25 and 1.5" wide).. The 1" wide might be a good addition though. The 1.25" lets me weld it to 1.25" square tubes nicely. I wanted the 16 and 20ga so I can cut it with my shear.. The 11ga and thicker plate I'll cut with plasma.

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
            Expanded steel mesh is handy material.</font>

Yup I was thinking of getting that... I saw it came in 1/4 diamond, 3/4" diamond, and various thickness, etc... I'm trying to think what I would use it for though.. I know lots of people in my welding class were building fire pits, and I think I saw someone use it to build a cabinet door (with angle as the frame)... Maybe it would be good as flooring for future buggy projects.

-Adrian

Comment

It's good for maklng a shoe scraper mat. Good for screens and guards for moving or hot items that need airflow. Good for a guard on an exhaust pipe for instance.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I built a 2 step bench thingie out of thin wall 1"x1" square tube and used expanded steel mat for the tops of the steps. Works out great for standing on to get over the hood of my F350, and for sittin on when I'm thinkin.....yea, that's it...thinkin!

Comment

Yup, that's certainly a good application for it.. For things like that, I would have personally built it out of wood only because I like to work with both wood/steel and I enjoy building things out of steel that I can't build out of wood

-Adrian

Comment

I could use some 1-3/4 .120 DOM - about 8 sticks please lol.

I second the 1/8 strips. Come in handy all the time.

Comment

Flats are so handy and so cheap that I stock from 3/4â€‌ to 2â€‌ in all of the common thicknesses, plus several pieces up to about 4â€‌ wide (long drops are usually enough for me in the wider sizes). 1x1x1/8â€‌ angle never stays around very long.

Comment

Yeah, i'd go with some strap as small as 3/4. Its handy to have around for all sorts of stuff. I go through more strap than anything else, well pipe is up there too, but mostly strap.

Comment

I don't see any 18ga. sheet to make your splash shields, fenders and such.

Comment

Square bar comes in handy,so does rectangular tubing 1x2"11ga is stout.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Yup...what weird said...I use a lot of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" square hot rolled.
                              I also like to have a decent size chunk of 1/2" mild steel plate kicking around also.
                              Some 1/2",5/8" and 3/4" OD O/1 is handy too.
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X