Let me tell you a story.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me tell you a story.....

My wife has a '93 honda accord that she loves.It is well beyond being paid off for years.
    Any way she insists on taking it to the dealer to have it serviced,oil changes etc. so on the 150,000 mile checkup they said the drums needed turned,new shoes, etc. and the wife thought she needed a new thermostat becouse it didn't get warm enough in the car on her 12mile trip to work in sub zero weather, so she ask how much to change it.........Well since the car was there already it was only $120.00.

Holy Crap, this was crasy i thought si I called and asked for a breakdown of the cost,it is as follows...

thermostat and gasket,$14.85
    Anti freeze...$10.00 gal x 3 = $30.00
    Labor $65.00
    The rest was EPA charge for disposeing of the antifreeze as they dont reuse it.....

I bought the parts from them and in 20 minutes it was changed,toped it off with 1/2 gal. A/F and she wes happy.

BTW the old thermostat was fine it was just that cold.
    Thanx for listening to me bitch about it.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

now you have answered the question i have been asking.
    how do the car dealers stay open and keep building new dealerships when they claim they dont make any money on new cars they sell?

Comment

Its the repair charges and and all the extra's that they add into the car loan's thru the dealership. They busted a number of dealers in SE Mich a couple of years ago for basically charging twice the price of the car with all the insurance,and one time charges rolled into the car loans.They are building new dealer ships around here as fast as they can cut the curbs to put a driveway in. We have a Hummer dealer that will sell you a new never owned one from any year since they started selling and leasing them. They lease more of them than they sell, in this area.

------------------
      Glen
      Been there, probally broke it doing that
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Hi There,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anti freeze...$10.00 gal x 3 = $30.00</font>
        WOW! That dealship is trying to screw you on that one. Three gallons of anti-freeze, mixed 50/50, would give you 24 quarts of coolant. According to my 1994 Accord service manual, the entire cooling system (engine, radiator, heater, cooling lines and resevior) is listed as 7.3 to 7.4 quarts (depending on Manual or Automatic Trasmission). Even if you filled the system with 100% antifreeze, you can't get three gallons in there!

You've GOT to watch these guys like a hawk! You did the right thing by performing the job yourself.

Good Luck!
        -Blue Chips-
        Webb

Comment

Parts and labor is what keeps dealerships in business. The shop is the major factor. The sales teams get paid the most and do the least to keep the place's lights on. I quit working for a local Deere dealership as a mechanic because I was tired of being billed out at $50/hour and only seeing $7 of it. I do my own work now, and charge about $35/hr +parts+mileage, which I think is fair. I don't do much work on things for others due to my 'real' 8-5 job, but in the summer time I'm setup to go on service calls. It works out.

Comment

Huh?

thermostat and gasket, $14.85
            Anti freeze $30.00
            Labor $65.00

That adds up to $120

QUOTE "The rest was EPA charge for disposeing of the antifreeze as they dont reuse it....."

The antifreeze charge looks high, but I don't see an EPA charge. Maybe you can explain a little more?

Comment

Well then you know how my dad felt when mom took the car to the shop for a new muffler. She told them to rip everything out from the motor on back and "just replace it all". So they did, they ripped out all the stainless exhaust system and replace it with a conventional one. Dad went ballistic, when he was done it was Mom's turn! She asked him "well why and the hell didn't you take it in?" Pa looked like he'd been hammered on both sides of the head with bricks !!
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Sounds like a fictional "story".

Comment

The exhaust might be fictional, or not....

But I went ballistic when the dealer replaced my nice NEW and EXPENSIVE "lifetime guaranteed" special disc brake pads..... and put in standard factory super-soft 6000 mile "no squeak" pads.....

I forget why they were doing anything to the brakes........ there was "sort of" a legit reason.....

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Coming back from a Wyoming antelope hunt, pulling a 27' travel trailer with my loaded up pickup, I pulled off the freeway for gas and immediately had all kinds of "smoke" coming from under the hood. Popped the hood, but couldn't see much for all the "smoke" except some liquid dripping on the hot exhaust manifold now and then, so I figured it must be antifreeze coming from a heater hose or somewhere. I asked for directions to the local Ford dealer, thinking they would be familiar with the vehicle and would have the correct parts, etc., since I couldn't drive around looking for parts, etc.

Turned out to be a small slit in the bottom rear of the upper radiator hose -- pretty obvious when the "smoke" had cleared. They had to order the part from the local NAPA or somewhere. While waiting for the hose, they asked if I'd like to replace the thermostat while we're at it, and I said yes. $180 later, I was back on the road. They charged high prices for the hose and thermostat, and charged a gallon of coolant
                    at $10, but didn't even use half of it. Their labor rate was $80/hr, and the book gave them .8 hr to diagnose the problem, and .8 hr to fix it, so that's what they charged me to R&R two hose clamps and two bolts that are the simplest and most accessible things on the whole damn motor!
                    Lynn S.

Comment

And now we start to see why I like to do ALL of my own work. Durnig the summer, the pickup has everything on board to fix almost anything. All I need is the parts and the ability to get them.

Dealing with my old junk, I need machine tools to make my own parts or recondition the old ones and/or the ability to make some of the special tooling that is required to do these things.

Comment

I changed the water pump on my Ford Ranger earlier this year. It's held on by a dozen metric bolts. They were looking a bit corroded after 18 years of service so I dropped by the Ford dealer to pick up some new ones. They didn't have any. They tried to cross them to another component held on by the same size bolt and managed to find one that fit. But, they didn't have it. According to their stock system there were two of that size in stock in North America.

I went to the local NAPA dealer and bought a dozen.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Duct Taper:
                          Huh?

thermostat and gasket, $14.85
                          Anti freeze $30.00
                          Labor $65.00

That adds up to $120

QUOTE "The rest was EPA charge for disposeing of the antifreeze as they dont reuse it....."

The antifreeze charge looks high, but I don't see an EPA charge. Maybe you can explain a little more?
                          </font>
                          This is a mistake on my part I am sure,Invest in a calculator my friend.

------------------
                          The tame Wolf !

Comment

Brooker Ford, Dalton Georgia.. They charged me 3 hours for diagnostic machine hookup to my 99 ranger truck. Even thou it was just parked next to it and not hooked up.. it was hooked up to a Lincoln. It hooked to my truck for about 15 minutes.

I throwed a fit. The head mechanic said that machine was expensive, I paid the bill. I posted a webpage about it. They called me twice asking me please to remove the page, I said fine, gimme a refund. Page is gone. It dissapeared overnight about two years ago. I am sure It got deleted by mistake.

Dealerships are used to screwing everyone that comes in the door. When someone who actually can turn a screwdriver comes in, they continue thier methods and get caught.

Not only did my lil ranger get charged for the machine, they messed up the snap locks on the plugs on the harness. That truck had electrical problems every couple of days till I traded it for a older car. It takes paitience to unsnap a plug with locks. Jerking them is not a good method. *(saw that too) Last problem was it would shift into Low gear going down the interstate, I had changed the oil religiously at 3k miles with castrol gtx.. I was mad.

Then, the Brooker salesman called me offering to trade with me.. Boy did I bend his ear, He ended up hanging up on me.
                            Now I know a mechanic who they recently hired, just like a restruant, the cook makes the deal good or bad.. Unfair business practises continue till someone trains them not to. A webpage and call the the BBB didn't.

ANYONE who gets treated like that should have a mediator to fall back on. THE BBB does not mess with car dealers much anymore.
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

My own horror story has to do with my Dodge truck's transmission cooler lines. I took it in to Charlie's Dodge in Toledo because it had a leaky quick-connect fitting at the transmission. They called and told me, "all the cooler lines need to be replaced, it's $600.00". I didn't know if I could get it home because of the leak, so I told 'em to go ahead. When I picked it up the next day, I was told, "Well, you saved some money. We couldn't get one of the lines, so the total is only $450.00".

Now, were they trying to screw me by selling me stuff I didn't need, or did they screw me by NOT selling me something that I DID need?

Needless to say, I will never darken their door again. And, that's why I do nearly all my own work. Even found out later that those fittings were problematic and an authorized fix involved using some sort of hydraulic fitting from a farm equipment dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X