Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. how bad is using choke for speed control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. how bad is using choke for speed control?

The governor on my 5 year old craftsmen 25 hp intek B and S engine is broke, and engine runs wide open. This is on my snowblower, so I only use it about 2 times a month. I don't have time to fix it now. how bad is it to use the choke to keep engine speed in the normal range? Can it do permanent damage, or will it just foul the plugs?

The choke should only be used for it's intended purpose. Controlling engine speed by use of an excessively rich mixture will usually lead to wash down of the cylinder walls causing, at the least excessive ring and cylinder wear, at worst seizure of the piston. Who knows, you may even have a good old fashioned crankcase explosion, always thrilling!
    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

What Carl said. That shouldn't be hard to jury rig. OK, so it won't have a governor but set it so it can't go wide open. Just block the throttle arm some way.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ditto above. !!!! Not only that but you'll probably burn holes through the tops of the pistons.

Where is the governor broken? It may just be a spring that has fallen off. Take the time and check it out. Those engines run about $1600-$1800. Might be worth 15 minutes to look into it...Ya think?

Comment

Springs all look good. It looks like from the B and S website that the governor has many plastic parts on the inside, and the governor is calling for full throttle, overpowering the hand throttle. it of course is a pain in the butt to look at or work on, with all the important stuff being in the worse place to get at, and if you run the engine, then the hot exhaust is right there to burn your fingers if you try and do anything by feel, or attempt to manually control things while it is running. And, I only need the choke when starting or shifting, the rest of the time the engine is loaded with heavy snow, thus keeping the speed down.

Comment

The hand throttle is pulling on a spring that is countered by the governor. See if you can connect it directly to the linkage with a bit of stiff wire or similar.

Comment

Most that I have seen have a bend in the heavy wire between the governor and the throttle plate. I have had good success in bending them to raise/lower the engine speed.

OTOH, the internal guts of the governor may be shot, resulting in wide open throttle all the time. Disconnecting everything from it and moving the lever by hand should give an indication of its condition. While the engine is cold and not running, of course.

Karl
              At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.

Comment

Post the engine data (serial & date code) so I can take a look. As Evan says, you should be able to bypass the govenor and run with just the throttle. It may bog on heavy snow and you'll have to manually adjust the speed but at least you're not destroying the engine.

Comment

If you have to ask.........................

------------------
                  The tame Wolf !

Comment

Using it like you describe I don't think you will hurt anything, go ahead and get the snow moved. If you did it a lot you would wash the cylinder walls down and do permanent damage. I don't see any way that it could cause you to burn a hole in the pistons. James

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J. Randall:
                      I don't see any way that it could cause you to burn a hole in the pistons. James </font>

I agree, that would be a lean condition or pre-ignition.

And I'll add I dont think running it choked is gonna cause the damage described above. When choked you are not running in an overly rich condition as if the float was stuck or the jets sized wrong. You are not adding additional fuel, you are reducing air. Which does produce a slightly enriched mixture but not nearly as severe as the float/jet issue.

Run it to get the jobs done. After about two tanks or a few hours of use pull the plugs and check her out. They wont be dripping or even moist so the cylinder wash down is not happening. They will, or may, look carbon sooted.

But if you did have a stuck float or wrong jetting you could run into the overly wet condition described above. JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 12-16-2005).]
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

CCWKen
                        it was hard to see, but here is the engine data.
                        Model 445777
                        type 0129 E1
                        code 000824YH

Comment

Running choked will cause it to run very rich. That is what the choke does and that is how it helps a cold engine start.

Don't run it chocked for the reasons posted by carl!

Usually the govenor is nothing more than a flapper in the air from the flywheel fan - very simple.

Comment

Another thing not mentioned is that excess gas will dilute the oil. Not an entirely bad thing in cold weather, it's used on aircraft for really cold conditions. But, too much and bye bye bearings.

Comment

Another thing to check. Make sure your throttle butterfly hasn't fallen off.

It is a long shot but, I have experienced it. I bought a beat up riding lawn mower this summer from a guy. "The governor needs to be fixed". The engine was a Tecumseh 16hp vertical shaft OHV. All the linkage was fine.

Before pulling the motor to disassemble, I decided to pull the air cleaner and look in the carb. Suprise, no butterfly.

I found it laying on top of the intake valve. It was bent up a bit but had never made it into the valve seat.

Of course when I pulled the head, the butterfly screws had been through the seats and were firmly imbedded in the piston.

Brian_h

[This message has been edited by Brian_h (edited 12-17-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                              X