Looking for NewCordless Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for NewCordless Drill

I've had a Black & Decker 3/8", 14.4 drill / driver for about 12 years now. It been a real champ, but after replacing three batteries, two chargers, and the outside case, I've decided the chuck, which doen't grip like it used to, isn't worth the cost.

What I'd like to get is something that is similar, but with either NiMh or Li-ion batteries. I would also like the batteries to be able to recharge in an hour or less. Another requirement is that the chuck is able to grip down to a #60 or smaller drill bit.

My wife is letting me choose my own Christmas present.

I welcome any experiences or comments you wish to share.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Halac:
    I personaly Like the deWalt DW980k-2 it has a 1/2inch chuck and uses 12v batteries. It recharches in less than an hour. I have had mine since Sept 10 2001. It has provided geat service. I do not think it will do the # 60 without an adapter chuck. I shopped around in the spring for a drill/driver for my 16 year old son. He has been helping me with shop projects since he was about three and have been buying him real tools for christmas since he was five. After comparing everything that was available at sears lowes and Home Depot we ended up buying a second one like I have. Seems to be the best buy in the long run.
    Good luck in your search
    Tin.
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

The new favorite cordless in construction is the De Walt units! The Makita used to be number one! But the thermal cut off would kick in way to often! Go the De Walt way!

Comment

18volt Dewalt drill driver. Go with the 3 speed,the 2 speed isnt as good,I have 2 of each

------------------
        The tame Wolf !

Comment

Do the DeWalts have a NiMh or Lipoly batteries? I haven't been able to find out on their website. I'd like to be able to get away from NiCads due to their charging memory problems.

------------------

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com

[This message has been edited by halac (edited 12-11-2005).]

Hal C.

Comment

Nicad.

------------------
            The tame Wolf !

Comment

They do not seem to suffer any memory issues! we recharge constantly without completely running them down! Scott

Comment

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...ordless&ID=702

Comment

I have a Makita, but my son has a Bosch and I can't believe the power differance and ease of use over mine! I also have an Hitachi down at the lake cabin and I love it. Was a big fan of Makita... things have changed. B.G.
                  Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Check out the Panasonic 15.6 V.I've had Porter Cable and Dewalt in the past and the Panasonic is by far the best I've used.It has gotten good reviews in Tools of the Trade and Fine Homebuilding---outperforming some of the 18V drills.The battery is Ni-MH rated at 3.5 amp hours.All the other manufacturers offer batteries in the 2-2.6AH range.The panasonic is smaller and lighter than the 18v,19.6v models I have used.Balance and ergonomics are good although the battery is a bit sticky to remove at times--a spritz of silicone cures this.Mine will be 3 yrs old in April and I'm still using the original batteries.I am just now noticing diminished performance and will just get a new drill soon.No sense in getting replacement batteries @ $75 ea when a whole new kit is $199.

Comment

Wife gave me a DeWalt 996 (K) 14.4V setup back in the early 90's. Just finally had batteries give up this year.

Bought a newer setup, as cheap as just the batteries.

Not sure I like the new setup, has carbide tip chuck jaws, and I figure they will be good for about 2 hours until they chip into oblivion. So I'm still using the old drill with the new batteries.

I too-often ran the batteries too low trying to get one more hole before climbing down for another pack.... probably killed them early by reverse-charging. Even so, they lasted what has to be around 12+ years.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-11-2005).]

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

We have a panasonic drill, the one complaint I have of it is the screwy keyless chuck that is on it. I would guess Panasonic has since fixed that though.

Comment

deleted stupid duplicate.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-11-2005).]

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I'm waiting for the compact model with one of those RC electric BLDC motors in it. You know, the ones that go 60,000 rpm before being geared down, and draw 600, 900, 1200, 2200 etc, watts. I figure that would be a drill that Tim Taylor could be proud of.

Seriously, a very small electronic motor, like those RC ones, would be very efficient at all operating speeds in a cordless drill. Because they are so torquey, you might not need a gearbox, except for the initial reduction from 60,000 to about 3000 rpm or so. Even the 600 watt motor would be able to twist your arm if it didn't have torque limiting circuitry bult in. Another benefit would be faster braking.

Something like this might be better off with a different type of control, probably a trigger controlled torque output instead of speed. It would probably have a separate maximum speed dial, but the trigger would also vary the speed with the first say 20 percent of the trigger travel.

Smaller size, lighter weight, equivalent or better performance- would make me happier.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have several drills. The 18V DeWalt is great for some things, but too heavy for most work. I find I use my 12V Makita - even though is has less high end capability - for most tasks. It is simply easier to manage when up on a ladder or leaning out a window. If you have another drill available, even corded, I would choose a 12V model.

Comment

Working...
                              X