OT: book for suspension design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: book for suspension design?

After a search of the internet, I found books on suspension design for dirt track race cars and books on installing a lift kit. But I have not found anything on suspension design for full size off road vehicles such as trucks, rock crawlers or desert racers. Does a good book exist?
    John

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...&PROD_CD=R-146

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics
    by William F. Milliken and Douglas L. Milliken

It covers quite a few aspects of steering/suspension design. All of the principles are there. You will have to determine what's important for offroad racing however, as all suspension designs trade one thing for another. I.E. does horizontal tire scrub or having a vertical kingpin axis really matter for off road racing? How much tire wear can you sacrifice for better traction?

Comment

There's a ook 'Doorslammers' for drag suspensions, but it's pretty much a waste of money.

Comment

I've got the doorslammer book, and if you're gonna build one yeah it's wasted money. That said, it's the best book I've come across for TUNING suspensions for dragracing yet..

HTRN

------------------
        This Old Shed
        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

jkeyser14, do you have the book. Does it get show how to calculate minimum wall thickness for the suspension components for a 4 link suspension?
          John

Comment

I'd imagine that's something you're either going to use a rule of thumb for, or do some very serious simulation, because that's not a simple problem to solve by any stretch of the imagination.

You're going to need to start with a design guideline: ie a 16" bump at 40 mph or something. You'd figure out what acceleration your tire undergoes under those conditions (and what kind of horizontal force it encounters...both very difficult problems to solve by hand or by computer), and from there you can (with a lot of work) figure out the forces in the tubes are.

I think, in the end, you'd be better off guessing then doubling your guess.

-Justin

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jburstein:
              I think, in the end, you'd be better off guessing then doubling your guess.

-Justin
              </font>
              Like you said, I may just have to make a wild guess, build it and then take it out try to break it.
              John

Comment

The Caroll Smith books have it all. All you have to do is the math.

Design to Win
                Build to Win
                Tune to Win

Best regards,
                Greg B.
                If you\'re data is anomalous, you\'ve more digging to do.

Comment

Working...
                X