Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending 1/4" Plate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
    We could tuck Texas over in a corner of British Columbia and forget where we put it.</font>
    -Well, we could saw Alaska in half and make Texas the third largest state.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Bending 1/4" Plate

I am working on a smoker project:

My question is how to go about bending the curves around the edges of the state in 1/4" steel plate? The plate will be about 2 feet wide.

Is this something that can be done with a hydraulic press? Is there some other suggestion?

The best suggestion I have gotten so far is to go find a shop in the area with plate rolling machines of sufficient capacity. I'd rather do it myself if someone has a good suggestion for how.

Best,

BW

[This message has been edited by BobWarfield (edited 02-27-2006).]
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

I'd just use my teeth.

But; if your dentist would disaprove I think the idea of a hydrolic press is good. However, I think you'd have to go for at least a 50 ton model...

Comment

Well you could cut your profiles brace them.. then weld heat and beat.... weld heat and beat. Or make your smoker and face with the TX State profile and box with lighter gauge materials.
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Neat! It looks like an Iron Worker.
          --Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Move to Wyoming.
            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Once you have the profile of the front and rear plates done, spot weld the side plate in question onto the front and rear plates at the point on the front plate and the point on the rear plate where the curve begins. Then heat, bend, and spot weld every inch or so until you have what you need. Then go back and weld it all solid. Either that, or move to Rhode Island.
              THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

At least it isn't Alaska...

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If I lived in any of those other states you recommend, it would still have to be a Texas smoker. Note that I do live in California, which is calculated to be the place that will probably be the most annoyed with the whole idea of a Texas-shaped smoker--Suits me fine! LOL

Incidentally, I think I want to build the curved sides first and get them approximately right. I've got a plasma cutter that will make short work of cutting the Texas shapes. It'll be easier to get the curved plates about right and cut the front and rear to fit those than the other way around.

So a 50 ton hydraulic press, eh? Hmmmm....

I'll wait for the hydraulic press people to weigh in on this if you'll 'scuse the pun.

Best,

BW
                  ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                  Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Note that I do live in California, which is calculated to be the place that will probably be the most annoyed with the whole idea of a Texas-shaped smoker--Suits me fine! LOL</font>
                    ...Kalifornicateia?...you will probably receive a visit from your friendly local SWAT TEAM at your first barbecuing event of the season

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 02-27-2006).]
                    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Actually you need a hydraulic press BRAKE- not just a press.
                      And yes, I would figure on 50 tons or so.
                      A press just has one cylinder moving up and down- to make it a brake, you need to build a top die holder that is the full width, and then make it so it doesnt swivel on the cylinder.
                      Do-able, but a pretty big construction project on its own- probably more of a project than building the smoker.

I would do it the other way- cut the flat parts first, trace the profile on a piece of 1/2" plywood, cut it out with a jig saw- then go to a shop that has both a big power roll, and a press brake, and have them form the 1/4" plate to fit your templates.

A power roll to roll 1/4" plate, 4 feet wide, runs about 10 grand.
                      A press brake that will do 4 feet of 1/4" is at least that much- more like 25 grand for the new ones with cnc back gages and hydraulics.
                      So a shop that is all set up with 30 grand or so of equipment can whip these out in an hour or two- around here shop rate for a shop like that is 75 bucks an hour- quite a bargain if you ask me.

Comment

If you have access to oxy-acetylene,or a plasma torch,you can make a series of cuts across the point where you want the bend,like this-----------,leaving just a small amount of metalto heat to make the bend.Then use a welder to weld the ---- spaces . It works,if you don't have the press to do it,just takes more time and fuel.

Comment

Torch and a rosebud accompanied by gentle persuasion from a GM tool (sledge hammer).

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by George Hodge:
                            If you have access to oxy-acetylene,or a plasma torch,you can make a series of cuts across the point where you want the bend,like this-----------,leaving just a small amount of metalto heat to make the bend.Then use a welder to weld the ---- spaces . It works,if you don't have the press to do it,just takes more time and fuel.</font>

Very clever idea! I would never have come up with that. Now lets see if I can cough it up in the future when needed !!
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Dis is 1/2 plate and 50 tons of press that scares the georgia bejesus outa me.

I suggest a pattern shop with a flame cutter or water jet and then welding all the pieces together.

Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X