OT: Hello, I am a fairly new poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Hello, I am a fairly new poster

Hello to all! I have been watching from the sidelines until early this morning. Dave C's medical post kind of broke the ice and I jumped into the water. I can really relate to his present situation. But don't know what I can add to machining right now, cut two threads about 15 yrs ago, and have not done anything else since then. I guess I am more a hack and hammer mechanic with an adjustable wrench than a machinist. Flame away, just don't wake the baby!

Shopa$$...don't wory about not being a mashinist!
    There's lots a reel smart fellers here who kin learn ya.
    They teech me all the time
    Kidding....welcome to the "zoo"
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Good to have you along.
      Cheers!
      rock-
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

ten yurs ajo, i kudnt spel mesheenest, now i are one!

HTRN
        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

I guess you don't hqave to worry about making an A$$ out of yourself as it looks like you already are one. The rest of us are awaiting our chance!
          mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Welcome aboard! Sending us all a good Christmas present sure would go along ways to making friends......just kidding
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Just setting up my own home shop. A slow dance of money and time. Would like to have it operational before my <1yr son sells it all at the estate sale. Sorry no ol'iron in the shop. The mill needs a motor, which is fine until I find the third bearing for the spindle, and a few other trivial parts. At least the little lathe goes round and round if I plug it in. Sheet metal is a little beat, no tooling. But I can lay on the floor and turn the dials, look at that backlash.

------------------
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Welcome! What make of lathe and mill do you have?

Comment

the mill is a Griz G3103 and the lathe is a G0516 with out the "mini mill" portion. Got them at a low cost, but not free. I think the mill was being stipped for parts, and the lathe was forklift hockey, spilled guts, and Then RTV. Plenty of ol'iron in the wild here, but only have small space and 110V. So many of the "olds" are passing and their machines are looking for new homes. Once I get a little more settled, I'll make little pieces of metal from some bigger pieces!

------------------
                  Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

SHOPA$$,
                    I got a large lot of bearings at an auction. There were a bunch of Bridgeport spindle and top bearings plus lots of others. The bearings were for machinery repairs at a large shop. If your mill is an R8 spindle theres a chance they might be the same. Contact me off the board I might have what you need. [email protected]

Mark
                    Mark Hockett

Comment

Thanks Mark. It will be a while until I am able to work on the machines. The machine shop is a low (!!!) priority at present. Will try Cabin Fever in Jan. I type this stuff with a baby on my lap, he pokes some key, and poof I'm offline. I'm also dial up, slow, slow, and slow. You guys just type faster than I. Oh, and some things seem to get sent out in mid type. Not being rude, just less than optimal situation.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X