BP Boss 5 spindle jammed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Boss 5 spindle jammed.

Machine's been running great, making parts almost every evening but tonight for some reason the spindle just jammed up. It's stuck about 1/4" below the home position. The spindle will not turn either by hand or with the spindle motor and the stepper cannot move it up or down. Yesterday I did have a crash with a 1/4" endmill driving it into the stock but no funny noises and it ran fine the rest of the night as well as early this morning and this evening.

I'm really in a bind here (no pun intended) as I need to get some parts finished that I've already sold. Any ideas?

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

I dont think the crash did the damage, I have eaten 3/8" E/M straight into the work and the machine didnt even notice.

The common part for rotation and elevation would be the splined shaft (spindle)? I would begin there.

And never discount the possibility of two separate things happening at the same time. Like, brake stuck or in between back gear and Z-axis drive problems.

JRouche
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Check fuse #14 for the Z axis stepper motor. What type of spindle brake have you got? Mine is pneumatic and sometimes the solenoid valve sticks.

Mine is the Rigid Ram type and I have a Hi-low shift lever for the spindle speed, but in either mode, I can usually turn the spindle if the brake is off. I don't think the crash was the main issue. I've snapped off a jackobs chuck, a couple of 5/8" end mills and quite a few 3/8" end mills before I learned better. Was your spindle bearing lube system working?
      Still, jambing in both rotation and Z axis seems unlikely to me.

I'm anzious to hear what happened.

Spence

Comment

Well here's the details so far. I was able to turn the Z-axis motor with the machine off and free up the Z for the most part. Now with the machine on the Z moves up and down but sometimes sticks near the top. The spindle still will not rotate but the motor will turn if I hold the hi/lo lever between hi and lo. The brake is pneumatic and the air cylinder moves the arm, I'm going to check that it actually releases the brake.

------------------
        -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Ok,

Brake works. If I hold the shift lever between gears and turn the spindle motor on the brake stops it. Now I'm still stuck (pun intended).

------------------
          -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Since "both" the hi and lo speed are locked, A distance guess is that the belt drive has a problem in the head. There is a cover you can remove if like mine.

Do you have a manual to pre-look at the internals? I have one here but no way to scan it. Spence does have one pdf'ed I think.. Perhaps Adrian does on his site too.

My machine took a crap when I had some work sold.. the guy buying the stuff screamed at me.. I don't care if your big drill press is broke, you will get me my parts..
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I did have mine all apart last year (Boss 5). I also have had some problems with oil not getting up to the three upper points. I could not figure it out, it had one line going to the top end. There was a restrictor at the pump then split to three points at the top. Two of them had restrictors in the line and one had none. Of course the one with none got all the oil and the other two little piggys got none. I removed these three points from the auto oiler system. Then ran the plastic hose out the motor switch and manually oil these three points.
              The oil goes to the ball screw, quill bushing and a bearing, the bushing the quill slides in and out has no restrictor.
              It all comes apart quite easy. the hardest part is the belt shiev that adjusts the speed. You should definatly check to see if the upper end is getting oil. this may be your problem.
              The high/low has greese in it, so you could rule that out.
              I also had some pluged restrictors going to the ways. I pretty mutch disasembled everything that had oil going to it cleaned and checked to make sure everything was getting oil. Its the only way to be sure.
              Hope this helps Christian.
              Stephen

Comment

Thanks Stephan, Dave, etc.

Well I got it working. I have a huge endmill holder I'll never use so against my better judgement I installed it and put a big pipe wrench on it. That still wouldn't turn the spindle so I put a pipe on the pipe wrench and that got it to turn a little. Just for the heck of it I tried starting in backgear and it turned fine. Tried high and that worked was well. I did put quite a bit of way oil inside the quill housing so that might have helped.

I'm gonna pull those lube lines and see if oil comes through, if not I'll figure out a solution like maybe a top reservoir that gravity feeds everything. Or maybe I'll replace the lines who knows. I figure it's safe to say I need at least one spindle bearing. No big deal there I was going to replace them when I teardown for new controls anyhow.

Talk about a load off my mind. I'm making a bunch of parts for a friend so he can sell brake kits plus I have an ad on ebay for my exhaust tool.

------------------
                -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Well,

Jammed again. I notice the bearing collar on the spindle moves when this happens. I'm guessing the bottom bearing is bad. I'll have to look in the book when I get home.

------------------
                  -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

In my experience the foremost expert on the boss 5 and probably the Bridgeport mills of all types and variety is a man named George T. Wroclawski. You might find him on the internet in Corvette circles by searching for him. He has been very helpful to me and he was a Bridgeport Serviceman. He is a great guy and and he has probably seen every problem that could be had, and very helpful. If you find him, tell him he has more than one fan in the world who owes him a tremendous amount. I only wish he was a regular on this website. He is a Bridgeport Guru.

Comment

I think I found him over at the CNC zone website. He helped me last year when the Z-axis stepper blew a transitor, talked to me over the phone for an hour. His name is George, don't know his last name, goes by Machinetek and used to work as a BP service man. Must be the same guy.

------------------
                      -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

FIXED! I think. My machine has a power drawbar so there is a protective cover over the spindle threads for the 30 taper tooling. Well this collar somehow loosenend and road up til it rubbed on the bottom of the quill. Both the collar and the quill noes are pretty galled up. I loosened it and moved it down and the machine ran fine for over an hour at about 2000rpms.

Now I can get back to work....

------------------
                        -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Wow,

Thats great news! Those BP spindles are built pretty tough. I'm glad it wasn't a bearing failure.

Comment

Spence I can't tell you the sense of relief I have today. I've got a backlog of parts that will take me all weekend to produce all because of a stupid collar! I'm sure glad that's all it was.

------------------
                            -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Ugh, the Z-axis is broke again. The first thing I thought of was a blown transistor so I checked them for continuity and sure enough one of them was shorted out. I replaced it with the only spare I have and checked the axis, it moved just fine. Then I buttoned everything up and the Z won't move. I opened the quill panel and everything looked fine. I can turn the motor shaft with the machine off and the quill goes up and down with little effort. I then check all the fuses in the side panel and they are fine. I took the belt of the Z stepper and it just doesn't turn, acts like a bad transistor! It whines when I hit the jog button and that's it, seems to wobble within one step.

I can't find my notes from the last time it broke down, I do remember checking the transistors for voltage but can't remember how. Oh I also swapped the X driver board for the Z driver board and still no luck. Could something have been damaged when the spindle jammed? Any ideas what to check next and how?

The machine ran fine all day yesterday, this evening I came in to finish up some parts and it flat out doesn't work. As usual any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------
                              -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Working...
                              X