X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines.. more vids

Young lad rebuilds performance engine.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6107&q=rebuild

Animated Assembly and run a of Ford Duratec engine.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45642&q=engine

Lister stationery engine.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88980&q=engine

all the best.mark

No wonder those some of those Japanese engines are so tough, H-beam steel rods, forged pistons, belt driven oil pump (eliminated cam harmonics), integral main girdle on the crank etc. I noticed they used a dial indicator to check crank endplay but they didn't degree the cams and they don't know to stand on the engine stand when torquing bolts to isolate the force. I used to stand on my engine stand to torque the main studs on my drag motor to something like 200lb/ft.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Still for such a young lad, he seams to know what to do....... think at his age 16-18 ish I had barely enough knowledge to do an oil change.
      all the best.mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 12-21-2005).]

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 12-21-2005).]

Comment

I wanted to ride my dad's old gocart that grandpa built for him when I was about 8-9 years old. The engine was toast, dad handed me a Briggs rebuild book, parts and tools and told me if I got it running it was mine. He actually thought I wouldn't figure it out at that age but I did. Anyway I've done a lot of motors in my time so I guess I'm a bit over critical.

Can't wait to do the 911 engine next winter. They are an engineering marvel, one of the few production cars to come stock with dry sump oiling. How many other cars had a 5-spd, 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes and fuel injection with just over 1HP per cubic inch in 1965? That same chassis was used all the way to the end of the air cooled production with constant improvement. Forget the last year for aircooleds, early 2000's I believe, they have the same doors my '66 does, same windshield, same overall design. You can drop a late motor into an early light car and have a rocketship.

One of these day's I'd like to find the parts and money to build a GT40 replica with a tunnel port 427. I also want to someday completely machine my own engine design from solid aluminum, dreams sure are fun.

Lot's of guys give those ricer kids a lot of crap but I'll tell ya at least they are learning cars and a lot of those cars will kick your musclecar's butt and leave you in the ditch on the twisties. The kids around here always want me to race, I tell them any time they are ready I'll meet them at the road race track. It's not me I worry about on the road, it's the young driver who lacks skill and discipline and the unknown's of public roads like oil slicks, gravel, other traffic and pedestrians, why worry about all that when you can drive as fast as your wallet will allow on a race course.

------------------
        -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

I think he is a little older than 18; i am 17 and most kids my age don't look quite as mature as he does. I'd say college age. Still really cool!
          I haven't had the oppurtunity to rebuild any performance engines, infact the biggest I've ever worked on is a four-banger demo Started working on lawnmower engines when i was pretty young because i wanted a go-kart more than anything There is something about rebuilding an engine though, that is really enjoyable. In fact, there is something almost romantic about building a perfomance engine, even if it's a dinky-ass single cylinder! Something about the detail and precision and knowing that you built (or at the very least) assembled something from mere pieces of metal that can produce power all by itself.
          Its pretty amazing when you think about a little self-contained piece of machinery that works with out any power cords or etc. Single cylinder engines are kind of fun since you can tamper with them alot and never screw 'em up...i've made alot of parts for mine to increase performance but never buying parts. too expensive! consequently some of my new home made parts failed miserably but no one was hurt and that old engine block keeps crankin at 8000+ rpm!

Comment

Working...
          X