Shop Air System, Plasma cutter, and General Shop Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Air System, Plasma cutter, and General Shop Tour

I've been on vacation all last week working in my shop every day. I finished building my compressor/air system last night. I made a video that walks through the air system, and also a demo of the plasma cutter cutting 1" thick mild steel bar stock, and also a quick general shop tour (9mb .wmv):

http://www.bbssystem.com/shop_video.wmv

-Adrian

Looks nice, looks like you need to build a steel rack next, maybe even a shop extension.
    Yeh, I can see why people want a Plasma cutter.

Comment

wow, place is a bit small, but well equiped. The amount of $$$ wrapped up in tool boxes alone is large.

Yet another case of 'shop envy'

Nice place, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hmm it is going to be one hell of an estate auction someday adrian, anyways nice shop.

Comment

Thanks for the tour !

I am jealous of the sunlight you have in there !

Cool toys and the tools are good too !

Lenord

Comment

Nice looking pressure regulators ..how much did they cost each.
            The ones over here are crap.........seams the more money you pay ........you just get some fancy euro-**** that has been designed to look great,but don't function at all...eg the auto-drain packs up after the first week .....
            Nice touch, I like is the flexihose on the comp .........been meaning to do that for a long time as my comp rattles all the pipes when running..........and when I do put it in .......I will have to dismantle all my pipes from the end right up to the comp to put it in .....I really should have put more thought into it when I installed.

That's some plasma cutter you got there ..my guess over 100 amp..........is it invertor type or transformer.
            my plasma cutter is 40 amp and is the crappiest piece of Italian **** ever made.
            duty cycle on it is horrendous .
            3 or 4 mins cutting .........15 mins waiting ....then only one min cutting from there on.
            and what do you do for a living to afford all this stuff Adrian

all the best.mark

Comment

Thanks for that Adrian!

Man, you went all out on the air system but you'll be glad you didn't half-ass it. I used to have that same compressor (Well, I still have it but the motor burned up) and I had it inside. The noise drove me nuts! Now mine's outside...

Woahhhhh! That plasma cutter is awesome!! Maybe I'll get a big one when I grow up...

Adrian's Kung-Fu's the best
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

The regulators on each of my air drops are $19 Harbor Freight regulators. I bought a bunch of them and have lots of spares:

0-160 PSI Regulator with 1/2" NTP inlets and 1/4" NTP outlets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1118

I have no idea how good they are, or how long they will last but at $19 each I had to try them.

The Plasma cutter is a 60 amp Hypertherm Powermax 1000 (G3 Series). Its got a 3/4" Recommended capacity, 1" Maximum capacity, and 1.25" Severance capacity.

These big air compressors need a flexible hose connection and they also need to sit on rubber vibration dampening pads otherwise the noise will be horrible.

Hoffman, this compressor is the CH 80 gal, 27 CFM 7.5HP 175 PSI version. How the heck did you blow the motor up?

-Adrian

Comment

Well, when I was building my house I let a friend use it in his shop. I'm thinking he tried to run it off of 110 or something he said he never could get it to work...

When I got it back it didn't work for me either I did save a lot of $$ in storage though... I got a bigger compressor before replacing the motor and have thought about putting the extra tank in tandem with the one I'm running. It'd be like 180 gallons.

Oh yea, I can never post anything about my little plasma cutter again. I think I'm gonna go hide it under a sack or something...

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 12-23-2005).]
                  Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Tool Envy?

While we are braggin.. ha ha..

<Un-ZIPPPP>

(deleted)

<ZIPPPP>

(nice shop Adrian)

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 12-23-2005).]
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Nice shop,hope I can et mine back together soon.

Here's a pic of my regulator setup while we're on the subject-

I have it setup with two seperate circuts/The reg on the left feeds the shop piping at 95psi since none of the runs is more than 25'.
                      The reg on the right feeds 3 3/8" and 1 1/2" quick disconnects that are plug ins for outside jobs.I got it set at 125 so I get something close to 100-110psi at the end of a 100' foot hose.

I got a deal on the Noregen filter regs cause they were o-ring port(big deal,I love o-ring ports)$15 each ain't bad I figure

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-23-2005).]
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Please post with picture.With my slow very slow phone connection I don't see your video before new year!!!!

Comment

Wierd, I wasn't sure what PSI I was going to need at my drops so I run the entire system at 175 PSI and reduce the pressure with the regulators at each drop.

Luke, I'll take some pictures this weekend.

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
                            Wierd, I wasn't sure what PSI I was going to need at my drops so I run the entire system at 175 PSI and reduce the pressure with the regulators at each drop.

Luke, I'll take some pictures this weekend.

-Adrian
                            </font>
                            That works fine,I just never liked running more psi on the pump than I absolutly needed since anything extra shortens valve and bearing life in the pump.Since my shop at the moment is only 20x30 I don't have enough run to lose much cfm.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
                              That works fine,I just never liked running more psi on the pump than I absolutly needed since anything extra shortens valve and bearing life in the pump.Since my shop at the moment is only 20x30 I don't have enough run to lose much cfm.

</font>
                              I'm not sure if mine is adjustable or not. I the pressure switch is fixed at 175 PSI, or I think the manual says not to make any adjustments to it.. I don't remember.

-Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X