Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finished up most of the snowplow today (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished up most of the snowplow today (Pictures)

I'm almost done with the snow plow. I have to build a mount for my truck, attach the A-frame to the mount, and wire up the lifting winch.

I have two 1.25" .120" wall square tubes welded to the plow's ribs which provide additional strength and also provides the mounts for the long-rams (Notice they angle upwards so the pump always gets oil).

Here is the geometry when I released the lock on one side, and pumped the other side to tilt the blade. If I lock both and pump both (or unlock both) I can also change the vertical angle of the plow blade +/- around 10 deg.

-Adrian

You will never ever get another flake of snow in your area ever again! Kinda like buying a new telescope, only clouds will be around from then on in.

Looks cool. Let us know how it works. Even if we have to wait 10 years or so for it to snow there again. D:

rock-
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Looks nice, I just hope you dont hit a big rock with it. Actually, IT would be interesting to see how it holds up to hitting a big rock.

Comment

I'm not sure when I'm going to get to try it out.. Almost all of the snow is gone. In fact, it was raining all day and I think I even heard thunder earlier.. I think it was around 50 deg outside yesturday and today.. With all of the steel I have now, I could really make this thing bullet proof but I think it's over done for what I'm going to use it for anyway.

-Adrian

Comment

Hmm, Id weld some sheet on those arms holding the blade ahead, they will buckle if you hit something hard.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
            Hmm, Id weld some sheet on those arms holding the blade ahead, they will buckle if you hit something hard.</font>
            I'll wait and see if they fold.. If they do fold I can quickly remove/straighten/re-enforce them.. Those are rear axle struts from a 1996 Camero Z28. If something breaks, those struts would be the easiest to fix/replace.

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Those are rear axle struts from a 1996 Camero Z28.</font>
              Then they'll just rust away.

Looks pretty cool but those arms are made for tension stresses not compression stresses. ... Stay away from rocks.

Comment

I see you guys buried in snow, I feel for you. I have been all over this country, I like it best here.

On the other side? when it snows here the locals go crazy, run up to a stop sign slam on the brakes, slide right through it, jerking on the steering wheel like that is going to help.

My wife mentioned she knows how to drive in the snow, I reminded her the people here don't.. Even if you can drive, being hit with a 3 ton SUV will knock you a flip.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:
                  Then they'll just rust away.

Looks pretty cool but those arms are made for tension stresses not compression stresses. ... Stay away from rocks.
                  </font>
                  They are designed for both. I cut the diag strut (#6 in diagram) in half (keeps the rear axle from shifting from side to side using both compression and tension), and I used two lower control arms (#8 in diagram) which compress when accelerating and have tension when braking.. Are you sure you're a car guy?

Comment

Throw a coat of paint on that thing Adrain. A good two part epoxy will help it last the season.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
                      Throw a coat of paint on that thing Adrain. A good two part epoxy will help it last the season.</font>
                      It might even hold it together better, Watch those rocks.

------------------
                      The tame Wolf !

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:
                        Stay away from rocks. </font>
                        ROFLAMO as they say!

edited to add: I could have sworn that originally read "Sway away from rocks." Or do they have Freudian slips in reading as well?

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 12-27-2005).]
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
                          Throw a coat of paint on that thing Adrain. A good two part epoxy will help it last the season.</font>
                          Actually I do need to buy some paint for the Buggy. I could practice the application on my snow plow.. Is there any specific product(s) you could suggest?

-Adrian

Comment

Again I get to ask the question. As far a epoxy paint has anyone used this stuff on anything?

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/

They sell a water based epoxy. I think for the HSM it might be something to look at as spraying any other kind of epoxy seems to involve certain safety procedures to keep from killing or poisoning oneself.

They say it's good for up to 40% nitro if an additive is used.

------------------
                            Gene
                            Gene

Comment

SPRAYING EPOXY one time can destroy your lungs.

Don't be cheap, buy a quality respirator. Overspray can be a problem you didn't see coming too. MY BUDDIES destroyed about 5,000 in flash by painting my tattoo shop door orange and black. The painter in the group denies even being present.. NOW.. He was proud of it the day after. My eyes watered I was so mad.

Powdercoat? It will outlast everything, problem is nobody has a oven large enough unless you track down a "industrial chain line". It is a plastic-polyester coating that seals the metal.

All the new automotive paints, the base is "soft" and the clear coat is hard. Once you wear the top coat off it goes to metal rapidly. SO, I don't suggest them.

Want a powdercoat oven that rolls up, insulated curtains for walls? I'd do the first one for cost to prove my design.
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X