Mach 3, marcos and canned cycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach 3, marcos and canned cycles

Can Mach 3 accept macros? What about canned cycles or polar coordinates? I've been getting pretty elaborate with my Boss 5 programs lately and I need to convert them all to Mach 3 before doing my upgrade, so I kind of need to know what I'm up against.

I like to use peck drill cycles, bolt hole cycles, loops, macros, today I learned to use polar coordinates to rotate some diamond shaped parts so I could nest them. All this stuff will have to be converted over to Mach 3.

Truth be told, the more I learn the BOSS software the less I feel like upgrading. At this point the only good reasons are better accuracy (microstepping) and the ability to import CAD files. I'm half tempted to setup both controls and be able to unplug the steppers from one and plug into the other.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Yes, why don't you read the online manual?
    www.artofcnc.ca/UsingMill.pdf under downloads, documentation

Screen simple Wizards take all the complications out of most of what you said you do. You just enter the center, number of holes, degrees apart ,starting degree, stopping, depth, type drilling cycle, coolant? all the questions that make up a code file and push go.. it writes the code for you. Re: it does about half the work for me.

Polar commands one line g16, converts to degrees and radi. you can use g81 commands there too while in polar coordinates. Remember to cancel out.. g15? g80..

You invitation still stands. I have not been in my shop in about two months.

Lets talk about me? I still need a good center finder.. ha..

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 12-27-2005).]
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Ya know? You could build a cnc gantry table to run with your investment till you flip the switch and become more familiar with mach3?

A flame cutter would add to your shops inventory and abilities. You already got your controls built right?
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Actually David I've been talking with my father about selling him the controls for a CNC router table. If I did that I would convert the BP to full servo rather than steppers, that would really make the transistion worth it. I'm sure I'll love these controls once installed and all the programs are ported over, it's just that I dread that task which gets more monumental by the day.

I hadn't thought to search online for a manual, I was just looking at Mach 3 itself.

I'd love to visit, maybe in the summer sometime. I'm buried at work as well as with the machining side business so I'm stuck up here in the snow till at least April. Not complaining though, gotta take the money when I can.

------------------
        -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Servos won't make you happy. especially trying to tune them. Steppers are much easier to tune with varied loads.

You might say varied loads? yes, a endmill applying 2hp into the metal through the endmill is more pressure than running a 1/8th mill, or a unloaded table, or put that 200lb indexer on there like I do, or..

Look ahead software, it is mucho neater than the Mach3, but.. more expensive.. If you are making money with your machine it might be worthwhile.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Dave,

I'm purchasing Mach 3 tommorrow. I'm gonna take the next few weeks and convert some of my programs over to it and simulate running them. I've learned so much about G code in the past year that I figure I should pick up the G code for Mach 3 rather easily. My plan at this point is to hook the new controls only to the steppers via short jumpers to the new cabinet so I can test and correct each program before commiting the whole mill to conversion. I also need to build a ton of inventory in the event that the conversion takes much longer than expected. Fortunately I just bid on and got a $3000 job for the big lathe so I'll have extra cash to buy a bunch of metal and consumables. I figure a few weeks of hard work should put me far enough ahead that I can start the conversion.

Gonna crank out two sets of soft jaws for the big lathe's 3-jaw tommorrow from code I wrote tonight as well as some soft jaws for the CNC's vises.

------------------
            -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Difference in Look ahead software? It never slows if motor is continuing in "that direction" or angle, then it just slows to ramp in new direction. Most the accell decel is gone.

Software that takes a hour to run on a regular stop at each line program only takes half or less time.

Didn't Marriss/Geckodrive drive make a USB look ahead device to use Mach3? Or I think he described it as a look behind, device was running lines ahead.

Visual simulators are very helpful. Mine expired, it came with a Mastercam demo.

I can think of a hundred ways to improve my machine, going back to a boss-tape head is not one of them. I'm gonna run the wheels off it, as soon as I get back in the shop anyways.
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
              X