Quillmaster collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quillmaster collets

I bought a Quillmaster at an auction-- I thought it was a very good price. When I checked with B'port for collets I was told $235.00 each. Are they that special or is there a "standard" collet that is the same?

Stepside:
    Never seen one, but www.hardingeworkholding.com or www.lyndex.com might be able to assist.

Comment

Stepside,
      I can measure one and post the details if it will help.
      Depends on whether you fancy making these.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Stepside,
        I only have a .187 collet.
        The attachment isn't good for much bigger than that.
        I use it with a .125 ball mill, and set the head at 45* mill, to square out pockets and such.
        It's a nice "toy".
        kap

Comment

John: If it isn't a "standard" then measurements would be nice. It would be fun to build one. You can E-mail me at [email protected]
          Kap: It sounds like it will do what I want. I think they only came with 1/8 and 3/16 collets.
          Thrud: I will check those sources.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I have posted the collet drawing at:-
            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/quillmaster.BMP
            There is also a photo of this and a small attachment that fits onto the quillmaster to allow you to get into an undercut position.
            Pic of this at:-
            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/quillmaster.jpg

When I dug this Quillmaster out I didn't realise it was even there. I have four collets with mine, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and 3/16"
            It looks to me as if the 3/16" is the largest it can take.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I did the same thing as you did stepside. I paid $74.00 for the quillmaster and they wanted $122.00 ea. for the collets so I made my own, a 1/8 and a 3/16. It's not to hard to do.

Comment

OK here's my stupid question - what are these collets called?? (And by that I mean what is the ref. no. for them)

Sorry guys - Not being a BP fan I don't know much about these machines!

RR

Comment

John
                  Thanks for the drawings. I now have a project for Friday night.

I am still curious if they have a number/name, Like 5-C or R8 or?

Anyway thanks again and out to the shop to play.
                  Pete

Comment

At $122 (or, Lord help us, $235!) each, I'd certainly try to make my own too! They're pretty small. You can buy a lot of 1/2" dia. 1144 or 4140 or other good-quality steel and do a lot of experimenting for $122.

----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                      I have posted the collet drawing at:-
                      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/quillmaster.BMP
                      There is also a photo of this and a small attachment that fits onto the quillmaster to allow you to get into an undercut position.
                      Pic of this at:-
                      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/quillmaster.jpg

When I dug this Quillmaster out I didn't realise it was even there. I have four collets with mine, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and 3/16"
                      It looks to me as if the 3/16" is the largest it can take.

John S.
                      Sir John,

do you still have these images? The links no longer work.

Thanks,

Tri

Comment

2002, This must be a record for a resurrected thread.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burnett View Post
                          I did the same thing as you did stepside. I paid $74.00 for the quillmaster and they wanted $122.00 ea. for the collets so I made my own, a 1/8 and a 3/16. It's not to hard to do.
                          Same here, all you really need are the two sizes.

JL...............

Comment

Yes I will have the somewhere but I'm over in China until the end of the month
                            If I don't remember please bump this post up again

Comment

The food markets looked like the zoology lab in the old grammar school, faint whiff of formaldehyde, even McDonald's had some funky offerings
                              Tried getting a pie and pint yet ?
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X