Different Knurl -- Same Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Knurl -- Same Tool

There have been several posts on the topic of knurls. A lot of the discussion has revolved around whether the item being knurled must have a diameter closely approximating a multiple of the knurl pitch. This photo shows two different knurls made with the same knurl wheels on the same tool.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dish/knurl.jpg

Anyone care to comment? Sir John?
    Lynn S.

Looks good to me. But I'm no expert.
    Jonathan P.

Comment

It looks like the knurl on the smaller diameter was double tracking. That can happen when the pitch diameter of the work is half a tooth off from the knurls. If it's a third of a tooth off you'll see triple tracking, etc.

Usually when I'm knurling something and I get the double tracking I'll just turn off .010 or .020 diameter and knurl again, usually comes out OK afterwards. But with an inch PD knurl it should knurl OK on any .032 (1/32) inch diameter.

Comment

rkepler --
        I'm sure the knurl is making multiple tracks on the smaller diameter, but it isn't really apparent to the naked eye. It just looks like a finer knurl was used. I think the reflections in the photo accent the angle of one knurl more than the other (it was a scissor type tool). I'm thinking that any knurl pitch will work on just about any diameter if enough pressure is used and the knurl is allowed to track long enough to displace the metal sufficiently to establish the pattern.
        Lynn S.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lynn Standish:
          rkepler --
          I'm sure the knurl is making multiple tracks on the smaller diameter, but it isn't really apparent to the naked eye.
          </font>
          I guess my eyes aren't naked. It looks like crap to me.

Comment

Yes, the small one is double-tracking, and it looks it. The little wheels aren't smart enough to put down the second track exactly in the middle of the first track, so the lines aren't equally spaced.

Comment

It's double tracking, sort of. You can see it better in this pic, enlarged and sharpened.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

They look better close-up, which doesn't happen often.

Comment

Have a look back and see a post by John Stevenson on "cut knurling"
                  I built one yesterday (very easy to do)
                  It makes great knurls!
                  Sorry no pics, as the cam is home for xmas.
                  I did put a knurl on some 3/4" copper pipe as a test and it went fine.
                  eddie
                  see:
                  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/014550.html

[This message has been edited by motorworks (edited 12-29-2005).]
                  please visit my webpage:
                  http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

I thought when you were knurling you weren't cutting but displacing metal. If you are displacing metal and causing it to flow then there should be a point where advancing the feed in causes a perfect fit. Going further in would cause it to "double track" as it's been called here. Not going in deep enough would also likely cause double tracking?

Otherwise, you'd need a drawer full of knurlers to do a decent job on all the possible diameters one might encounter in day to day work. Am I right on that or not?

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 12-29-2005).]
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Otherwise, you'd need a drawer full of knurlers to do a decent job on all the possible diameters one might encounter in day to day work. Am I right on that or not?</font>
                      I'm not going through this argument again. I have three sets of diamond and one set of straight knurls. I get perfect knurls everytime I use them. That's all I have to say on the subject any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X