Link belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link belts

Has anyone experience using segmented plastic drive belts in place of v-belts? Will they really reduce vibration? Are they durable?
    Do they stretch with use?

------------------

use one on an Atlas lathe and a drill press Seem to work ok. They will still slip on the lathe, however, may be my own doing, maybe not tight enough, but faster to set up the lathe than pulling the headstock to replace with regular V-belt.
    gvasale

Comment

Herb, I just logged on to ask the same question, when I saw your post. I hope more replies are made to your question as I have a drill press and some other machines I'd like to fix the vibration on. Judging from some of the comments I've read elsewhere, (Amazon.com,and an article at the Woodcraft Supply website entitled "The Joy of Link Belts"), it looks like these belts are worth checking out.
      JR

Comment

Herb,

I've had these on an Atlas lathe and a Clausing mill for two years now. Seem to work better all round than a normal V-belt, especially in cutting vibration. No problems with slip (one 1.25 HP motor, one 3/4 HP), no signs of wear and no problems with stretch. Definitely recommend them. Hope this helps.

Tom

Comment

The guys on the woodworking forum rave about them for tablesaws, drill presses, jointers. I haven't tried them yet, but I am doing a vibation experiment with my table saw as we speak. I compared the standard v-belt to a cogged v-belt of the same size and length and found the vibration of the belt doubled with the cogged belt, most likely a resonance problem. I have a vibration spectrum analyzer so I was able to isolate the signals from each component. I haven't tried the link belts yet, but when I do, I'll post the comparison between the different types of belts.

Mike

Comment

And here I got excited thinking that you folks were going to talk about ammo-belt links for an M-60, 1919-A4, M-2 or the like. Ah, well. We can't have it all (at least not in the same place) I guess ...

Comment

Those link belts work wonders. I have a belt grinder, that the motor is mounted on a hinge affair to tension the drive belt, but for some reason the motor would move back and forth. I tried putting springs on it to stop this, no luck, sooo I bought some of this belting from Lee Valley Tools, and viola no more ungulation and it also runs quieter. If you are thinking about using these belts, my 2 cents worth would be to tell you to get them, you won't be disappointed.
              Jim
              PS they are about 5 or 6 yeear old now and don't show any signs of wear. JS

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 11-19-2002).]
              Jim

Comment

I've used one on my Logan 9B for about 5 years now. No problems, no vibration. Removing the headstock is not worth the problems involved. Highly recommended.

Howard
                hwevers

Comment

HERB: I put one on my table saw and the difference was dramatic. I haven't put one on my lathe yet but I plan to when it needs one. WALT WARREN

Comment

Herb
                    I have not set a spectrum analyser up for one, but I can tell you the results are astounding. I think it may be because the the urethane links grips the metal better and there is far less slipping. Regardless, it works. They are available in "A" and "B" width belt sections.

I still prefer a kevlar reinforced cogged belt...

Tonydacrow
                    Hey, what are you going to do when they go to the OCIW in 2009 (20mm programmable HE grenade over a high cyclic rate 5.56mm with an andvanced rangefinding nightscope)? I have heard that Metal Storm (Ausie firm that has a 1,000,000 rnd/m "Machine Gun") may be making an advanced sniper rifle with caseless ammo. They are supposed to be building a twin barreled Hummer mounted 20mm HE/AP good to 2+ kilometers (9 seconds from aquisition to target) - sounds perfect for gophers.

Ain't technology cool!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 11-19-2002).]

Comment

I first tried a Power Twist belt on my Jet table saw - the precisely calibrated vibration analyzers in the palms of my hands said vibration was reduced by 66.67% (can't say much about frequency, my analyzers are strictly amplitude measuring devices).

Since then, I've gone Power Twist crazy. I've got them on 5 lapidary machines (diamond saws, wheels, and laps); on the lathe and the mill; and on a homemade tool grinder. If a machine has a belt and you want it to run as smooth as it can, even with out-of-balance motors and/or pulleys, those belts will make a big difference.

I have found that they work best with minimum tension - just so they don't slip. Friction dampers need to move so the friction can do its thing. I suppose they are less efficient when run a little loose, but I will gladly pay some efficiency for less vibration. I rarely run any machine near its capacity anyway.

I think the 40 feet or so I have will last my lifetime. When I trade machines, I put standard belts on the one going out and make up whatever size I need for the new one. As for stretching, new belting will move a little for the first few hours - after that, it is stable. -- larry

Comment

Gentlemen! Thank you all for your help! Either these belts are great stuff or there are an awful lot of Power Twist stock holders out there. Seriously, though, I'm very grateful for such expert help.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X