Smithy cb1220 change gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithy cb1220 change gears

I have a smithy cb1220 can anyone tell me what is the pitch and pressure angle of
    of the change gears supplied with the machine. (I believe they are 1 Module.)
    Also can anyone tell me where to get a 24,100 and 120 tooth gear for this machine.
    I could get by with a rough bore and finish it myself.
    Thanks

Your best bet is to get hold of Smithy. In my experience with them they have parts for most of their machines in stock and are good to deal with. Their phone # is 1-800-476-4849

Comment

can't help you other than what wwlock wrote they seem to be eager to be helpful when they have been at NAMES each year.
      I have a question for you do you like the model you have the 1220. given that it is a combo machine for the cost ect.I keep tossing the idea around. since I live in Mich its not an long ride to pick one up at thier joint in Ann Arbor. besides thye usually give good deals on the ones at the show for cash and carry

------------------
      Glen
      Been there, probally broke it doing that
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I will check mine tonight, if I have them you are welcome to them. I have mine setup with Mach3 and steppers and I have no need for them anymore

Jim Geib
        Mansfield, Oh
        Mansfield, Ohio

Comment

Bill,

I checked the gears form my Smithy cb1220 and the largest I have is 70 Th.
          Mansfield, Ohio

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wwheelock:
            Your best bet is to get hold of Smithy. In my experience with them they have parts for most of their machines in stock and are good to deal with. Their phone # is 1-800-476-4849</font>
            I contacted Smithy by Email and basically they told me I am stuck with what came with the machine and they have no specs on the gears. This is an unusual response from Smithy as they are usually helpfull.I may try to call and talk to a tech.
            Thanks

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PTSideshow:
              can't help you other than what wwlock wrote they seem to be eager to be helpful when they have been at NAMES each year.
              I have a question for you do you like the model you have the 1220. given that it is a combo machine for the cost ect.I keep tossing the idea around. since I live in Mich its not an long ride to pick one up at thier joint in Ann Arbor. besides thye usually give good deals on the ones at the show for cash and carry

</font>
              I have a cb1220 got it new probably 12 years ago and I like it. I have had very few problems with it and it probably payed for itself several times repairing lawn tractor parts and various odds and ends. The lathe accuracy is excelent. The milling capabilities are soso. The mill is usable but it is relatively light duty. If you like to take your time you can get by. My machine is an old model and lacks a threading dial or halfnut so my threading has a lot of limitations. I use a hand crank on the spindle to thread because my lowest speed is 160 RPMS and I it gives unlimited controll but it is slow going. Overall I am pleased with this machine. The price is right and it doesnt take much space. I have mine mounted on an old office desk that I welded large metal casters on (so I can move it arround)
              When I get it where I want I jack it up with a floor jack and put blocks under it to level. So long as you realize the limits of the machine and it fits what you have in mind for it, it is excellent. If you decide to purchase you might want to go for a planetary reduction pulley if you plan to thread alot.I hope some day to upgrade to a new 1340 as it has better capabilities.
              Smithy support is usually very good. But my Email from them failed to provide gear specs.I think I need to talk with the right tech on the phone.
              I worked in a gear shop for some time (but no longer)and I figued out if I had just 3 or 4 more gears I could makeup just about any TPI I need. If I can get some specs. I can purchase what I need (stock aftermarket) and finish the bores to suit.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim_geib:
                Bill,

I checked the gears form my Smithy cb1220 and the largest I have is 70 Th.
                </font>
                Thanks Anyhow

Comment

Working...
                X