Space constraints - need bandsaw advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space constraints - need bandsaw advice

The problem with that plan is the blade speed. Those saws can't be slowed to metal cutting speeds. You'd generally have to engineer a jack-shaft into the saw in order to gear down to metal cutting speeds.

Space constraints - need bandsaw advice

I just don't have the floor-space for a 4x6 horizontal band saw. Been looking at the Kama knockoff benchtop bandsaw that Lathemaster makes.

http://www.lathemaster.com/Benchtop%20Bandsaw.htm

Are there any other options for sawing chunks of 1.5 by 3" aluminum than this? For instance, I saw that Grizzly has a portable band saw that attaches to a stand. Looks quite a bit flimsier than the Lathemaster saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8692

Need some more options. Even thru out a bid on an old craftsman power hacksaw but did not get it.

Any other options?

Comment

heres a homemade power hack saw, its cool.

Comment

A few years ago Griz had a model like the one from lathemaster. They drop the saw, and I saw a few at the Griz Tent sale, all had "bad bearings" listed on the tag. Lathemaster QC spec way be better, I don't know.

The other G8692 in a "porta-band" type saw and there are a few different importers, I have seen may different opions, good and bad.
        I have also seen some "improvement" made by the owners, but I can't remember where. Something about plastic gears "striping" and having to move the wheels around, they are identical parts. Sorry I can't "peg" this one as a definite "yes/no".

------------------
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Two other options:

- DeWalt multi-cutter. This is a "poorman's" cold saw -- like an abrasive chop saw, but slower and with a carbide tipped blade. Still somewhat pricey, but leaves nice cuts -- maybe good enough as-is for your application.

- A new or used Milwaukee portable bandsaw plus a stand. Much better quality than the imports.

Good luck.

Comment

Wow, that Milwaukee stfuff is pricey. Around 250 for the saw (which makes sense), but about the same for the stand? That makes no sense...

Like the Dewalt...

Any other input?

Comment

Sawsall with metal cutting blades. Gary P. Hansen
              In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

for 1 1/2 alum, you might get by w/ a non-ferous blade in a skil saw (circular saw).

looks like a course tooth plywood blade. I cut some heavy castings this way (3/4). Make several cuts, 1/8 to 1/4 at a time. Extrusions might be "gummy-ier" than cast?

Or the Saws-All, maybe tablesaw.

Comment

I just acquired an old Kysor-Johnson Model J horizontal bandsaw. It's really solid and cool with that 1930's retro look. I got quite a deal. I've paid more for a dinner for two. I can't wait to give it a going over and a paint job. It's going to do a lot of cutting for me for many more years. It's already served very well. Quality. It's heavy, but I'm happy.

Comment

I cutoff 4"x4" aluminum at wood speeds with my Makita miter saw, an 80 tooth (IIRC) carbide blade, and a little WD40...

I had poor results with a steel "non-ferrous" blade in a circular saw on 3/4" plate so I wouldn't go that way again...especially in 1.5" plate. I'd just use a carbide wood blade.

I've cut 1" plate on my table saw, once again, carbide wood blade, wood speed and some WD40.

I had chip welding problems on the 10" table saw though, my 14" miter saw has never given a problem, I don't know why. I bought the miter saw off a welder who also used it to cut aluminum.

Now that I think about it, the 4"x4" was 7075 T?351...the others were mystery aluminum or 6061. Maybe that also has something to do with the chip welding table saw vs ease of cut on the miter saw.

Comment

Mike, that is a very good design, operates like the big hacksaws, only a smaller version. Might take a little longer , as long as it is accurate. Good job.

------------------
                      BFH

Comment

Why not just set up a 14" Delta type saw with a metal cutting blade and and some sort of carraige that holds the stock that self feeds with a weight attached. That's what I'm looking at.Granted you would have to skew the blade to cut longer stock but that's not too bad of an option
                        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                        X