Shaper poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper poll

I've been seeing pictures of people's shops on here for years and many have shapers in them,but I have been wondering.

First,how many here use the're shapers and second how often do they get used?

Since I'm the one asking I'll be the first to answer.

I have a shaper,it sits outside in the rain it never gets used.At work we have three,no maybe four and the last one to get used was a 20"Cinn about three years ago just before we bought our big broach set.
    I used to use them more often nearly once a month and even cut some rack gears on them,but as the years have passed the uses get fewer and fewer.

So how is it by you?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I used mine the other day to make a little dovetail part.
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I used to use mine a lot. That was "before mill".

A shop re-arrangement, and acquisition of a newer shaper shifted several machines to where I can't use them easily.... shaper, die filer, bandsaw, and grinder. Newer shaper is a long-term scraping project, not done yet.

I am trying to find a way to get the old one back in use, since it can't be beat for flattening surfaces, etc. The mill sucks by comparison for that.

I've "milled" on a shpaer, cut gears on a shaper (bevel, at that), etc, etc. I like them. Just had to move SOMETHING and those items got moved.

Shaper I can do without, of course, because the mill does more. But I have no intention of not having a shaper in a usable place for much longer.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Throw a tarp over it D. I'll be up to take it off your hands.

Comment

i have a 7" south bend, i use it to square up stock for the mill. tom

Comment

Used the 14S to make a tapered steped block to fit in a fly cutter head on Monday, so I could chuck the fly cutter head and open up the threads.014". Asian head wouldn't fit the 1-1/2" - 18tpi adapter. Also squared up some plates for a 25 ton press I am building. Week before I beveled some plate for welding, and a couple of 5/8" and 3/4" keyways. My son used shaper also but I don't know what he was making, I just saw the chips on the shaper vice and table.

------------------
            Doug
            Doug

Comment

I am on my third shaper, iv'e had a 10" Alba, an 8" Boxford, and now use a 7" Atlas.

Mine gets used for profiling replacement teeth for antique musical box combs, if a mill is used it generates too much heat and distorts the thin material, the shaper works nice and slow, and everything stays flat.

Phil

Comment

I use one alot as an excuse. I tell SWMBO that not having having a 7" Atlas is the reason nothing gets done around the house.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

My 14M gets used at least a couple of times per month, mostly for "parting off" thick plate & chomping square / rectangular section down to required size.
                  It is probably quicker than & certainly saves excessive wear & tear on my relatively light duty master toolmaker mill.

Wishing all you good fellows a happy & contented New Year

Brian

Comment

Used mine the other day to put a flat on some worm gears for a fellows telescope. Used it cus the mill was set up for something different. I like mine. I try to use it once a month. Just to keep my mind sharp if for nothing else.

rock-
                    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I have had four Atlas 7" shapers. I have used all of them to make a profit.

I did keep one for a couple of years and tried it. It was kind of fun, but took an inordinate amount of time to accomplish anything. With a milling machine next to it, it was mainly taking up space needed for something else. When the T&C grinder showed up, it went.

I have never missed it. I made almost a $1000 profit on that one, used $30.00 of that to buy two dovetail cutters.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Use mine as much as the mill drill. Shaper tooling is less expensive for special shape

Comment

I don't have a mill, so I use my 7" South Bend a lot, especially cutting down scrap that I have scrounged to a usable size and shape. I used to have an Atlas--I think that I like it better than the South Bend because it is more "operator friendly"--you don't have to crawl into its guts to adjust the stroke, and you can precisely set the position of the ram without guessing.

Comment

I use mine 24/7 to hold up a shop blanket Thinkin bout ebayin her on up. I better get out there and cut something to get those thoughts out....JRouche
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRouche:
                              I use mine 24/7 to hold up a shop blanket Thinkin bout ebayin her on up. I better get out there and cut something to get those thoughts out....JRouche</font>
                              DON'T DO IT! You're the reason I got mine...
                              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
                              X