Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot/ Roybi "Deal"

Howdy Boys
    Not wanting to create any controversy but I am looking for some opinions. My Milwaukee battery has expired (again) and the replacement is $80. A tad spendy I think! The Depot has a Ryobi "deal" going that if you buy SELECTED kits you can get a cash rebate for any additional tool you want. The kit is $169 and you get more stuff than I want BUT I can obtain an additional drill with two new batteries and charger in the "extra" tool ($60) for the 169 (+tax)
    after the rebate. The only issue is that there is more stuff than I want and I being cheap cannot just trash them! any ideas? How does everyone like the Ryobi stuff? 18V dill have enough torque?
    Thanks
    Caddy

Batteries are still an issue. I finally broke down bought a couple nice heavy extension cords. Sick of rechargeable junk. Plug it in and giddeup. Also have a good generator in work truck for on site work.

Comment

Hey,
      I had a Ryobi rechargeable drill for years. I was I believe an 8 or 9 volt. I also went and bought a replacement battery when the original one died and paid almost as much for just the battery than if I bought the whole drill, but it seemed like a waste. I used it for years till the chuck broke. I then went and bought a HF cheapy and it stinks. I'd go with the Ryobi again or Dewalt. I hear good things about them. Fred

Comment

Everyone is going to 18V drills. I have an 18V DeWalt, a 12v Makita, a 9.6V Makita and a 12 V Ryobi. Before the brand discussion, I would like to point out that I use the 12V drills the most. I would use the 9.6 more as well, but it is 25 years old and a little tired. Drills of this size and weight are just more useful - in my world. I do sometimes use the DeWalt - but not that often. It is just too heavy for no gain in most situations.
        As to brands, the Makitas have been very very good. The DeWalt quality is good as well. Ryobi is a lower end brand, but so far, I have had good luck. It has fewer features and less torque for the same voltage, but I still find it useful.

Comment

I have the Ryobi 18V combo pack and I abuse the drill all time. It's only about 1 yerar old so I haven't noticed an issue with the batteries yet, but I've worn out the keyless chuck so it's very hard to keep bits from spinnning in the chuck now..

I prefer to use my Dewalt corded drill on the ground, and the cordless when I'm up-and-about on a lader or moving around alot.

-Adrian

Comment

Caddy,

For what it is worth, I had three dead batteries rebuilt at a local battery store. The cost was 35-40 per item. I have 5 tools that use the same battery so it seemed the best way to go, not to mention not throwing away the tools as they still run great. The batteries were 18v millwaulkee.

Brian

Comment

Does *anyone* make a cordless drill that utilizes standard C size NiCad or NiMH batteries, that you can just replace like in a flashlight...except in this case in their own "cradle" for quick changeout/charging possiblities of course.

If not, is there any reason this couldn't be done if they wanted to ?

(and yes I know you could make up your own pack, to replace any drill battery pack in theory, but too much PITA)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:
                Does *anyone* make a cordless drill that utilizes standard C size NiCad or NiMH batteries, that you can just replace like in a flashlight...except in this case in their own "cradle" for quick changeout/charging possiblities of course.</font>
                I think Fisher Price does

Comment

Yeah, I had a 12v Milwaukee drill with two dead batteries. Took it into a battery place around here and they rebuilt both of them for a total of $60. Besides that the ampere-hour rating was better on the rebuilds than the factory made ones. Look around and see if you can get them rebuilt!
                  My brother-in-law runs a fairly large farming operation and they have had 3 ryobis for a long time. One of them is at least 8 years old. They are all 18 volt and, due to all the climate change and general abuse they do run through batteries pretty fast but the drill themselves seem to be real workhorses. The only one they junked was one that they dropped from the top of an 80 foot leg...the plastic handle broke but the rest of still worked even after that. They have a good deal of torque, not as much as the rigid 18v but it is more controllable. Unless they have changed in the last two years they are real good drills.

Comment

well....

you could make a batt pack that was pretty butch....

this is not rocket science... NiCads are not good.... you know the problems.... NiMH are just batteries..

If you hace the dead batt pack - then canabalize for connections and fit.. make a mount for local C Cells.... or extension to a back pack D Holder....

would this be a good arcile for HSM? Hacking the Pack?...

--jerry
                    dvideo

Comment

Caddy:
                      Ryobi is IMHO Yak Dung!!!! I have had a couple of ryobi tools and hate them. I like the idea of battery rebuilds.
                      Tin
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

My advice is to spend $169 on JUST a good drill and forget the rest.

I got a Makita 14.4 volt 3/8 VSR with an extra battery and four packs of drill bit and drivers for $165 a little over three years ago.I know I have driven at least 10,000 screws of various types.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

18 V Ryobi system tools work pretty good for me and I work hell out of the drill and the chop saw.

I think them that completely denounce what works for others may be ding a disservice to people trying to find a tool balanced to meet their affordability/reliability requirements.

I just wish that the various battery packs interchanged withing a given voltage. Quick and easy cell replacement would be nice too. That will never work because everyone knows that Ryobi's 18 volts is mush different from Makita 18 volts and so an interchange voids the warranty.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by caddy:
                            Howdy Boys
                            Not wanting to create any controversy but I am looking for some opinions. My Milwaukee battery has expired (again) and the replacement is $80. A tad spendy I think! The Depot has a Ryobi "deal" going that if you buy SELECTED kits you can get a cash rebate for any additional tool you want. The kit is $169 and you get more stuff than I want BUT I can obtain an additional drill with two new batteries and charger in the "extra" tool ($60) for the 169 (+tax)
                            after the rebate. The only issue is that there is more stuff than I want and I being cheap cannot just trash them! any ideas? How does everyone like the Ryobi stuff? 18V dill have enough torque?
                            Thanks
                            Caddy
                            [/QU

Why not make a extension cord with the battery box and a set of alligator clips? Then you could run the drill off a small 12v
                            car or boat battery with a carring handle

Comment

Last summer, Home Depot was selling a pair of 18V Ryobi batteries for 39.95. I bought a pack to replace the ones in my Homelite weedeater and hedge trimmer that had gone dead. Did you check to see if they can sell you the batteries only?
                              Lynn S.

Comment

Working...
                              X