Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Anyone have any experience with Carbon Monoxide detectors? I want to buy a couple and install them in my shop and in the living/sleeping areas in my house.

I've found some cheap ones (~$20) and expensive ones (~$600) so I'm wondering what type(s) of Carbon Monoxide sensors might be used in the cheap/expensive units?

I would expect Carbon Monoxide detectors to have to collect Carbon Monoxide over time to be able to measure the levels, but it seems some can instantly detect it?

-Adrian

As far as I know they integrate over time.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

we have the plug in with battery back up takes a outlet space near the heater register. in the fifty dollar range. Parents got one from the gas company, couple payments over a couple months. Doesn't appear to be much different than mine other than in price about 70.00 US.It plugs in an outlet near the heat register closer to the floor and not the return air resister which now are being placed higher up the wall near the ceiling. If you have a central heat forced air type furance. it would be coming out the register vent from a cranked heat exchanger. And I didn't make myself clear in the original post. They all seem to be battery type now. As the one I put in were 3 years ago was a plug in and had to go it to the outlet closest to the register. They do show them up the walls now instead down by the heat resigters.

Don't think the cost is much of a factor. as the should be made to go off at the first wiff of it so one can get thier sorry sleeping but up and out.

------------------
      Glen
      Been there, probally broke it doing that

[This message has been edited by PTSideshow (edited 01-05-2006).]
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I have them in both my house and trailer. Not the $600 types. Just the $20 - $50 ones available in most hardware and home supply stores. As far as I know, they are fine. I can attest that they work as most of the inexpensive models are too sensitive for my trailer. I tried three before finding one that will not give false alarms.

As for the time thing, they may do that at low levels but at higher concentrations, they will sound off almost instantly (a few seconds).

Paul A.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PTSideshow:
          we have the plug in with battery back up takes a outlet space near the heater register. in the fifty dollar range. Parents got one from the gas company, couple payments over a couple months. Doesn't appear to be much different than mine other than in price about 70.00 US. plugs in near the floor and heat register. in the shop near er the floor would be better. as it builds up from the floor. Depending on how you heat your shop you should find out how fast it will go off.

Don't think the cost is much of a factor. as the should be made to go off at the first wiff of it so one can get thier sorry sleeping but up and out.

</font>

I just read somewhere that Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter than Oxygen so it rises.. If that's the case, then having the sensor(s) near the ground might defeat their purpose? I think the ceiling would be better?

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PTSideshow:
            we have the plug in with battery back up takes a outlet space near the heater register. in the fifty dollar range. Parents got one from the gas company, couple payments over a couple months. Doesn't appear to be much different than mine other than in price about 70.00 US. plugs in near the floor and heat register. in the shop near er the floor would be better. as it builds up from the floor. Depending on how you heat your shop you should find out how fast it will go off.

</font>

Here is where I read that it rises:

http://www.homeownernet.com/articles/carbmonox.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You should install at eye level or above, but not closer than 6 inches to the ceiling. Avoid detectors which are placed near the floor as carbon monoxide rises quickly toward the ceiling. If placed in the kitchen, do not install unit within 5 feet of cooking appliances which can emit carbon monoxide when cooking.
            T</font>
            -Adrian

Comment

Hang out too long in a warm dyno cell in the middle of winter, and when you start puking and have a killer headache you can figure that you got too much CO.

CO poisoning is no fun.

cheers,
              Michael

Comment

I picked up 4 detectors off Ebay. I bought the ones with a digital readout ($23) but I also found these that are very cheap ($16) with FREE shipping, and they come with 3 Duracell batteries:

Link to Carbon Monoxide detectors on Ebay

If they actually work, it seems like a no brainer: Buy them and use them.

-Adrian

Comment

I bought a cheap one. After a few months the alarm went off. I called in a furnace repairman. Levels were normal. He said it was common for them to give a false reading.
                  Super Dave
                  RapidtoCNC.com

Comment

Actually I bought 8 of them.. 4 with digital readouts and 4 of the $16 units.. I would never rely on just one unit.

-Adrian

Comment

You shouldn't be running that snowplow or speed kart indoors anyway!
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Heres the deal on: Does carbon monoxide go up or down? It is actually heavier than air. So it will be at ground level. BUT since it comes from some type of heater and the air coming out of that is warmer, it rises up, i.e. is carried up with the air. They are "recommended" to be placed in the same place as a smoke detector. Good places are at the top of stairs where warm air rushes up. And surley somewhere where you can hear it GOOD.

Comment

Go for the plug in type, my brother works for the fire department, he said the battery operated ones have much higher false positives and keep at eye level or above.

Comment

Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air.

Specific gravity 0.968 (air = 1) (1.013 bar and 21 آ°C (70 آ°F))
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

So...........which of you writes for a newspaper that reported that the dead miners were actually alive.......

If'n you can't get your facts straight........maybe you shouldn't report it......

I tend to believe Evan........at least he used scientific data........LOL

[This message has been edited by Lee Paul (edited 01-05-2006).]

Comment

Working...
                              X