Something I've noticed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've noticed!

Is it just me getting older, or are most of the young dudes not wanting to get steady jobs and learn a good trade? Ok, machinists still don't get paid what we're worth. We can only make a mistake once. We can't use erasers or "DELETE" buttons. Truly;...a dying breed of men. Just recent observations.

------------------
    Dave da Slave

I agree! and have commented the same! we have a hard time finding motivated workers in the Construction field!! But as far as Machinist! The Majority High Schools have dismantled or degraded their Auto shops and Machine Shops
    Lack of funding thanks to our Legislators What a shame !! Scott

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ZMAN:
      I agree! and have commented the same! we have a hard time finding motivated workers in the Construction field!! But as far as Machinist! The Majority High Schools have dismantled or degraded their Auto shops and Machine Shops
      Lack of funding thanks to our Legislators What a shame !! Scott
      </font>
      I don't like politicians,but this one can't be blamed entirely on them,this one is the fault of the parents.

I have heard it more than once from the parents of kids who would be good machinists or mechanics."why don't you go to school and learn how to make money being a doctor or lawyer""you don't want to wind up in a deadend job do you"?.
      See they don't want the're baby to be a second class citizen by getting the're hands dirty.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Yup, things are different. Seems like there are a set of jobs now that are "under" young workers standards. Most young men that I talk to want to have a $50k per year job sitting in fromt of the computer at a desk playing games. I just have not decided how they got this impression. Too much TV?

It might well be the school system. I was never given the choice of engineer or machinist in school. They always told me that I would be a good salesman or manager.

There is this push to get every kid to go to college (not a horrible idea) and get a degree in some office type job. One of these days, all of the good machinist will be gone and those of us with the knowhow will be in demand again.

Heck, look at the programming language cobal. Supposedly a dead computer language but when Y2K came along, many gents I knew that were good in cobal were paid beond well for thier services. Most are still working, if they wanted.

Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Your right! I did not want to get into the whys our who's! Just the fact that this seems to have happened! Scott

Comment

Being in the Detroit area and the auto industry job market area. It is easy to see what is happening. I graduated from a trade high school in the late sixties. in tool and die working. in the this area then fords was shipping die work, kellering and stamping work to South America were they were making .50 to .75 US. A shop I was sent to for a job was getting out of the biz and reopening as a snowmoblie dealer ship. Didn't last as it was in a industrial shop area sort of off the beating path. the guy that owned it told me go to school and get some more education because it was over and never would be coming back as it was.
            their was an small arctile in the newspapers a couple of months ago about so many small job and mom and pop shops closing. That had old style tooling and machines. Non computer-op that they were not having acutions any more because the machines brought more if they were sold as scrap to China. As I see the cost of scrap metals and now cardcard stock and corr cardboard/newspaper climbing. All being shipped over to China.
            A small shop has to be really on top of its game to survie. Or be able to make some hobby related items to keeep cash coming in.
            Locally Delphi wasn't the only one making big pay cuts or reduding staff to continue.
            Itsa sad and to bad that its coming to this. but when people in this country stop buying the new cars and keep the cars longer. Maybe they will reduce the over the top compensation to the excutives.

------------------
            Glen
            Been there, probally broke it doing that
            Glen
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

my 2 cents:
              back when i was in high school i took the vocational course in machine shop the other one was auto shop. we were treated like we were in the retard class. even though we could do trig. problems the thrid year trig. students had not even heard of.
              there has been an over all dumb down and elitest mentality of if you dont go to collage you dont know anything and you never will.

Comment

Our society looks down upon people who work with their hands. Parents want their kids to go to college and get a white collar job. I have nothing against college but nothing against learning a trade, either.

Comment

I've got a college degree (near PhD) and have one of the desk jobs. I've got a lot of friends that work with their hands. They're very nice and very smart people who are definitely not folks I would think I'm superior to!

To get that point across to my kids, I have pointed to the idea that owning your own business is a great accomplishment no matter what that business may be. One thing kids understand is that being your own boss sounds great.

I'm not to sure they comprehend the responsibility that brings, but one lesson at a time!
                  ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                  Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

As a young person who grew up in one of the richest counties in the richest state of the country, I can tell you how it really is. It has nothing to do with getting your hands dirty. It has to do with making lots of money. None of the parents want to see their kids working their ass off to only end up living paycheck to paycheck. And the mindset is that if you are blue collar, that is how you will spend the rest of your life, working paycheck to paycheck. Correct, Wrong, what ever the truth is, that is the view.
                    You dont want to be the worker bee, you want to be guy that owns the company. And if you are a worker bee, it should be in something that will make you lots of money.
                    You all see Adrians workshop, all his nice toys, that is what every parent wants to see their kids be able to do.
                    There are snobs and yuppies and they pick on everyone, and theres tons of decent people too in the upper tax brackets that have lots of respect for people that get their hands dirty. You can't paint this one with a broad stroke, its just like anything else.
                    Living in the North East, the jobs that make the most money are the white collar, work in the office, requires the 4 year degree minimum, be certified in 10 different things and blah blah blah.
                    So many of my classmates from High School, dropped out of college, living dirt poor, cant find a job, realising they cannot duplicate the success of their parents and have been hit hard by reality. And to remember the attitudes they had in High SChool, thinking they were all going to make 150K a year or more(the average income of the town I lived in), Ah the saying is young and stupid.
                    All I want in life is a loving wife, family, and to live on enough acres of land in the country where I can open up my living room window and blast a deer without anyone giving a crap. And ofcourse to make enough money where im comfortable and have a nice pension(federal job).

Comment

I always wanted to be a mechanic when I was younger. I enlisted in the Air Force & spent ten years as a heavy equipment operator. learned to Drill water wells, Use explosives, build & repair things. During my stay in Florida I also worked as an automotive machinist & a welder for a fellow. I learned many things then. I did a short time as a Caterpillar Machanic upon leaving the service.
                      I now own a small repair company here in New Hampshire. Am I rich? Not even close. But I have no pressure that a $150K per year job brings & really do not lack for much. I specialize in welding repairs & portable line boring. I have made a good living working with my hands & have found that some of the Collage boys really appreciate your skills when he cannot get his machine to work. Of course there will always be the snobby set. I don't let em bother me. You have to work smart & don't rely on someone else to define your destiny for you.

Having said that unfortunatly not everybody has the will & detrmination to strike off on his own. It is bloody hard work at times. But well worth it in my book.

Millman is right, not many of the young kids want to work. The ones who do have figured out they can make good money if they get out of bed & get with it! I know a few.

The world is a changing, Thats for sure
                      Warren

Comment

Yeah, I have one of those $50K jobs in front of a computer. Not all it's cracked up to be.
                        When I was in HS back in the 1960s, I wanted to take metalshop. The class was all afternoon, and it took 3 the place of 3 elective classes. I was structured so you could not take metalshop and also get the classes you would need to get into college. I was an A student, and was discouraged from taking metalshop. Had I been able to, I likely would have ended up an ME. As it was, I would up in junior college taking courses I had no interest in, so dropped out and went to work.
                        Now 30 years later, I sure wish I had taken that machining course.

Comment

Rex, you struck a chord !! In high school I was denied a seat in the photography class. I have worked as a professional photographer for some 35 years now.

I wanted in metal shop or woodshop but they wouldn't take me. I now have a nearly complete metalworking shop and a complete woodworking shop. Most of my tools have been paid for by projects done with them!

Some of the issue of high schools folding up metal arts class I think is an egotistical problem of principles and teachers who want to be able to say, "I want all my students to be successful and find a cure for cancer". The day is soon coming when a person who can run a metal fabrication shop might just be the top wage earner in our country. The work still needs to be done by someone.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                            The day is soon coming when a person who can run a metal fabrication shop might just be the top wage earner in our country. The work still needs to be done by someone.</font>
                            Sounds like that "Day" is what they call Doomsday

I'd much rather see the Day when you just buy a "metal shop in a box". You plug it in, You stick raw material (powered steel for instance) in one end, search/pick from a list of 50 billion different parts that can be made, press the "go" button, and out comes the part(s) you requested. You buy/sell databases of parts.

-Adrian

Comment

Having retired from more than 31 years in a school system. I can tell you some of the reasons that the shops were fazed out. one was the kids them selfs. A friend who taught woodshop was hit in the head with a hammer by a student, he still will never be normal again. And to many other stories of what happened with a shrap or pointed object in class and you looking at me stuff. not to mention the zip guns ect made in schools. The liability of what can be made in the shops. The other thing is the age of the machines and cost of replacemenmts. in Jr and high school all most 99% of the machines in all the classrooms were gov surplus, not counting on all the tooling and drills and taps. from the USAC, USA, and joint ventures of the auto companies and gov. when the stuff statred to wear out and educator interest in manual education class started to shift to college classes.
                              After all in the late 60's and early 70's They were telling us all we would be using jet packs and have robots and Adrians shop in a box top do the grunt work.
                              In education shop and manual classes cost more money. besides they need as much funding
                              as they can steal form the other areas for boys sports so maybe one of or students will be famous one day!

------------------
                              Glen
                              Been there, probally broke it doing that
                              Glen
                              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Working...
                              X