X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Windows warning.

Use Firefox.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/03/wmf_workaround/

That however is only a partial solution. Don't open e-mails unless you trust them to be safe. Even then you aren't really safe. This is a bad bug. Linux is safe.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    •In an e-mail based attack involving the current exploit, customers would have to click on a link in a malicious e-mail or open an attachment that exploits the vulnerability. It is important to remember that this malicious attachment may not be a .wmf. It could also be a .jpg, .gif, or other format.
    </font>
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/912840.mspx

* Why is this issue so important?

The WMF vulnerability uses images (WMF images) to execute arbitrary code. It will execute just by viewing the image. In most cases, you don't have click anything. Even images stored on your system may cause the exploit to be triggered if it is indexed by some indexing software. Viewing a directory in Explorer with 'Icon size' images will cause the exploit to be triggered as well. Microsoft announced that an official patch will not be available before January 10th 2006 (next regular update cycle).

* Is it better to use Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer will view the image and trigger the exploit without warning. New versions of Firefox will prompt you before opening the image. However, in most environments this offers little protection given that these are images and are thus considered 'safe'.

* What versions of Windows are affected?

Windows XP, (SP1 and SP2), Windows 2003 are affected by the currently circulating exploits. Other versions may be affected to some extent. Mac OS-X, Unix or BSD is not affected.

Note: If you're still running on Win98/ME, this is a watershed moment: we believe (untested) that your system is vulnerable and there will be no patch from MS. Your mitigation options are very limited. You really need to upgrade.
    </font>
    http://handlers.dshield.org/jullrich/wmffaq.html

Note: If you have an AMD 64 bit CPU and XP SP2 you aren't vulnerable.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-04-2006).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

This Linux looks to be a improvement. I bought a copy, what do you make of it?

I tried downloading two new versions last night, Yeah cheaper just to pay the $10.. plus shipping.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Try this David.

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

Don't visit the Knoppix site for now. it was compromised.

Comment

"Mac OS-X, Unix or BSD is not affected.

Note: If you're still running on Win98/ME, this is a watershed moment: we believe (untested) that your system is vulnerable and there will be no patch from MS. Your mitigation options are very limited. You really need to upgrade."

Typical MS BS.

Linux is not affected either, but they don't mention that.

And note the scare tactics in an attempt to get Win'98 users to upgrade.

------------------
        Leigh W3NLB
        Leigh
        The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
        of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

"Typical MS BS."

That wasn't from MS. It was from SANS.

Comment

Looks interesting tha Linux.

If you boot off the CD rather than installing it,can you still use all the software running under XP ?

Allan

Comment

Unfortunately no. Linux won't run most XP software. If you boot from the CD it won't touch your XP install though.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-04-2006).]

Comment

IMHO until the people who dream this stuff up are caught and publicly executed the problem will continue.I also think the punishments are light because viruses and malware sell security and scanner software.

What was the punishment that German kid got for Saser?8 months community service?It only cost the world how many million to fix?
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                  That wasn't from MS. It was from SANS.</font>
                  SANS was just quoting what they got from M$. They have no other basis for evalating vulnerabities, nor of determining whether or not a fix will be released.

------------------
                  Leigh W3NLB
                  Leigh
                  The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
                  of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Evan, would you be willing to help me through email to fix my Firefox? I wasn't compressing the folders {didn't know I needed too} and it crashed. I found the fix but they didn't tell how to get into Win 98 to do it. I had to go back to Explorer and Outlook Express, how I hate it!
                    Michael

Comment

"SANS was just quoting what they got from M$. "

Not likely. They get thier information from white hat hackers, usually before MS does.

From SANS
                      The ISC relies on an all-volunteer effort to detect problems, analyze the threat, and disseminate both technical as well as procedural information to the general public. Thousands of sensors that work with most firewalls, intrusion detection systems, home broadband devices, and nearly all operating systems are constantly collecting information about unwanted traffic arriving from the Internet. These devices feed the DShield database where human volunteers as well as machines pour through the data looking for abnormal trends and behavior. The resulting analysis is posted to the ISCأ¢â‚¬â„¢s main web page where it can be automatically retrieved by simple scripts or can be viewed in near real time by any Internet user.
                      </font>

Comment

We, as consumers, have to accept half the responsibility for the monstrous, bloated, crap that MS has created. Their marketeers are responsible for the other half, shoving it down our throats.

We have way too many gimmicks and gadgets now, all bound together by a delicate (I'll use the appropriate word) "framework".

We can take photos from our vacuum cleaner, vacuum with our toothbrush (which, BTW, shows which tooth to brush next), play MP3s on our cell phones and make calls from our palm sized computers.

Those of you involved in Windows/Mobile/ Embedded/Whatever.Net or other programming know what a convoluted mess it is. Oh yeah, if you're not doing .net, you're pretty much obsolete

It might be hard to tell from the glowing, positive MS comments I've made here but I just spent half the day fixing this stuff instead of designing product.

Comment

Michael,

Do you mean Thunderbird?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't open e-mails unless you trust them to be safe.</font>
                            I'm corn-fused.

I read this: "The security flaw might be exploited by inducing victims to view maliciously constructed sites, particularly where IE is used as a browser, or when previewing *.wmf format files with Windows Explorer."

It has nothing to do with e-mail viewing except that the e-mail MAY entice the reader to a malicious web page. It sounds to me that the weak link is IE and WE. Quite possibly, you may have to add Window's Fax Viewer to the list too.

What if you don't use the windows viewer for .wmf files?

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 01-04-2006).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                              They get thier information from white hat hackers, usually before MS does.</font>
                              Evan,

The statements which I quoted were obviously from M$. If you disagree, kindly identify a hacker who could speak authoritatively about M$'s intent regarding a fix for W'98.

------------------
                              Leigh W3NLB
                              Leigh

Comment

Working...
                              X