No announcement yet.

Work in metric????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can work in either equally well,but since this is a 90% imperial country I prefer inch units.I regularly convert metric unit machinery to inch units since there are many things in metric units that are not readily availible.

We could have put the clamps down on the whole metric system world wide years ago if we had inacted a law banning metric units and manufactured goods from entering the country.

If I am ever elected president/dictator/galatic overlord I promise I will vanquish metric units from the American landscape so help me God

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I work in metric inches. I even have a dial caliper that reads both.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I don't mind working in either, and actually metric is a little easier. The one problem I see for my customers and I try and get this message across to them, is that if they call out for metric units in everything, I have to machine all sides of the common imperial sized stock, this ads more money to a time and material job. For example 50mm is real close to 2", but it is not up to me to decide that the part would be ok at 2", it is my job to make the part per print and tolerance. This really isn't a problem with more experienced designers(they would just put 50.8mm), but with the advent of CAD programs anyone can be a designer nowadays.

Comment

Here is another link that shows how poorly the metric system has been accepted in European countries, where is has been "the" system since it's inception. It seems to be universally resented by most people.

http://www.bwmaonline.com/How%20Metr...s%20Europe.htm
          Jim H.

Comment

I think it’s a shame that the majority of the American public thinks it’s O.K. for Communist China to continue to produce our consumer products using the metric system, but I not going to convert my home shop equipment to that system. I guess I’m just to old or to conservative to change from the U.S. system of measurement.

Comment

I can't recall the source, but I read once that over half the hardware worldwide is imperial.

Comment

I can work in both but you won't convince me that metric is harder than imperial it is (once used a few times) much simpler.We changed to metric currency which DON'T FORGET you had long before us in 1970 it has been a struggle for a few years for the old and a few stubborn diehards but after a few years no one would want to go back. Make the world unified is pretty smart in my book why do things the complicated way.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I use both interchangeably for the day job (boat repair), depends which side of the ruler I pick up. For machining I still use both, but do have a bit of a mental blockage about visualising small (sub-0.5mm) metric measurements and find myself converting ('what's that in thous?'). That's just a question of practice, not prejudice. My big lathe is metric, the small one imperial, my manual mill is Imperial but I always work in metric on the CNC mill. The big lathe has a DRO and I often work on it in Imperial, but one of my projects is to fit a DRO to the small lathe so that I can work on that in Metric.

Tim

Comment

I'm a university scientist who reads and writes articles for an international audience. SI units (the international system based on the metric system) are extremely useful in this milieu. But if I found that metric units were truly more handy for personal use, I would long since have abandoned the English system. I have not.

The English system is more cumbersome to master, but it is far more versatile once you understand it. I like the fact that I can choose to measure in yards, feet, inches, or half-, quarter-, eighth, sixteenth-, and 32nd-inches according to the degree of precision needed. At that scale -- the human scale if you wish -- metric only gives you choices of meters, centimeters, and millimeters.

This is an advantage of the English system that never seems to be mentioned. Metric advocates point out that the US monetary system is "metric" but overlook the fact that it is bastardized by non-decimal denominations such as the nickel and quarter.

Kim Steiner

Comment

One big problem for the American economy is its lack of metrification. How can you expect to sell products into a predominantly "METRIC" market, when they do not conform to the system. Until American industry bites the bullet and retools for metric production, you can expect further decline in the American share of the world market.

In spite of this dismal message a happy new year to all!

Comment

I work in both and so does everyone else. For most machinists who work in inches they work in metric inches below the scale of one inch. .0001 .001 .010 .100 etc. It makes no difference what the arbitrary unit of length is, it's still a metric based on ten. The only difference with the "metric" system is that it is extended to all scales and measures.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 01-10-2006).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'll have to put my vote in for the Imperial system. I've worked with it all my life (51 yrs.) and just don't "think" well in the metric system.

I've been in the metrology business for the last 22 years and in that time I've seen very little metric system usage. Maybe less than 1% has been metric. The only prevalent use of metrics is in weights; grams, kilos, etc. Several of the customers I go to their product is in metric, but they want Their equipment calibrated in Imperial. Go figure.

Everything I do in my shop at home is in Imperial. When I get an outside job, I make sure that the person wanting a part made gives all their dimensions in inches. So far I've had no problems with this request.

------------------
                            No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com
                            No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Metric metric metric all the way....The only retarded thing about the metric system is their retarded thread system..It is retarded..LOL

But yea I will convert any imperial measurement to metric before I take a cut..I used to use imperial on my old imperial lathe but I find metric a lot easier to use...

But hey go with what you find best for the home shop...90% of worldwide industry is metric and rightly so...
                              Precision takes time.

Comment

I was bought up on imperial then had to learn metric when it was introduced. Metric is far far easier and logical; having said that I find that I can still work with imperial and have no problem switching from one to the other.
                                Most of you may know this; to convert fraction to decimal :
                                divide the numerator by the denominator.

Ken
                                Ken.

Comment

Working...
                                X