No announcement yet.

Work in metric????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this little trick surfing the net. To convert a fraction to an approximate metric value, keep doubling the numerator and denominator until the denominator is 256. The numerator, divided by ten, will then be a very close approximation to the real metric value. Eg: 17/64 ... double it once, 34/128...double it again, 68/256... Your approximate value is 6.8 mm. 17/64 is .265625 which converts to 6.746875 mm. This isn`t exact, but it`s fast and easy and very close.

Comment

Not trying to be a smart arse, because I`m not smart enough but a bit easier is ((numerator / denominator)/.0394 )... or .04
      Now where is my calculator?.........
      Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 01-02-2006).]
      Ken.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bob_s:
        One big problem for the American economy is its lack of metrification. How can you expect to sell products into a predominantly "METRIC" market, when they do not conform to the system. Until American industry bites the bullet and retools for metric production, you can expect further decline in the American share of the world market.

In spite of this dismal message a happy new year to all!
        </font>

Which system is used has nothing to do with it whatsoever.Fact is if another company wants to sell here they had better use imperial measures.
        We export to countries that either A are too poor to afford anything we build,or B support the're industries through subsudies and tarriffs.

Our economy is currently running a GDP of over 11 trillion dollars,larger than 104 of the worlds countries combined.Why should we be the ones to convert?

Finally either system can be bastardized by people who insist on using partial units.10.8mm would be an example so would .569" niether example can be broken down to an even value of any use.

If we have an inch we can break it down into 64ths,32nds,16ths,8ths and 4ths.If we have MM we can break them down into 100,90,80,70,60 and so on.That is until some wise guy wants .569" or 10.8mm.

We here in the States should have never allowed the metric system in,all it has done is bred confusion and inefficency.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:

Which system is used has nothing to do with it whatsoever.Fact is if another company wants to sell here they had better use imperial measures.
          </font>
          Why????

We export to countries that either A are too poor to afford anything we build,or B support the're industries through subsudies and tarriffs..
          </font>
          So....The US exports worldwide to all countries as most countries do...

Our economy is currently running a GDP of over 11 trillion dollars,larger than 104 of the worlds countries combined.
          </font>
          what has that got to do with it..So the US is big...

Why should we be the ones to convert?.
          </font>
          Well everyone else has...

We here in the States should have never allowed the metric system in,all it has done is bred confusion and inefficency.
          </font>
          dunno has it.....every other country in the world has gone through the process...why is the US any different?????

Overall metric is a far simpler system...throw all the fractions away, and everything works in together....want to find a litre of water...simply get a container 100mmX100mmX100mm...fill it with water and it will also be a kilogram of water in it...Want to mark out a hectare..simply mark out a 100mX100m square...

1000 milligrams to a gram..1000 grams to a kilogram...1000 kilograms to a tonne

1000 microns to a millimetre...1000 millimetres to a metre...1000 metres to a kilometre..

1000 millilitres to a litre...1000 litres to a kilolitre....1000 kilolitres to a megalitre

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 01-03-2006).]
          Precision takes time.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ringer:
            [B]
            Overall metric is a far simpler system...throw all the fractions away, and everything works in together....want to find a litre of water...simply get a container 100mmX100mmX100mm...fill it with water and it will also be a kilogram of water in it...Want to mark out a hectare..simply mark out a 100mX100m square...
            1000 milligrams to a gram..1000 grams to a kilogram...1000 kilograms to a tonne
            1000 microns to a millimetre...1000 millimetres to a metre...1000 metres to a kilometre..
            1000 millilitres to a litre...1000 litres to a kilolitre....1000 kilolitres to a megalitreB]</font>
            Too much of a stretch for some?? or just plain obstinant? I suppose if a person doesn`t want/need to know they shouldn`t have their arm twisted.

Ken

Ken.

Comment

For sure...like I posted a couple of posts above for HSM it does not matter what you use...I was taught metric at school so find it easy...I can use imperial as far as small measurement goes but i don't know like how many pounds to a ton, or even how many yards to a mile off the top of my head...
              Precision takes time.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedy:
                but a bit easier is ((numerator / denominator)/.0394 )... or .04
                Now where is my calculator?.........
                Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 01-02-2006).]
                </font>
                When you get that Myford running you'd better start using 0.03937 as you'll need to be that bit more accurate.

Allan

Comment

We`re a bit rough and ready down here in the colonies Allan. .03937007874 is just a bit too much to recall, so .04 suits me just fine
                  You will be pleased to know that I relocated the Myford parts the other day...ahhh, progress! Attempting to organise the mess/shed.

Happy New Year.
                  Ken
                  Ken.

Comment

Hi wierdscience,

I trust this is a windup. Or has that part of your anatomy which connects your head to your body been in the sun to long.

I'm sure you can't really believe what you say. The post displays the arrogance of a school yard bully and the reasoning power of a farmyard chicken.

Sorry for being so blunt but I though somebody should point this out to you.

Phil

We export to countries that either A are too poor to afford anything we build,or B support the're industries through subsudies and tarriffs.

Our economy is currently running a GDP of over 11 trillion dollars,larger than 104 of the worlds countries combined.Why should we be the ones to convert?

Finally either system can be bastardized by people who insist on using partial units.10.8mm would be an example so would .569" niether example can be broken down to an even value of any use.

If we have an inch we can break it down into 64ths,32nds,16ths,8ths and 4ths.If we have MM we can break them down into 100,90,80,70,60 and so on.That is until some wise guy wants .569" or 10.8mm.

</font>

Comment

Take a look in the "alphabets" in this site if you want to see how many units of measurement there are.
                      http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html

Comment

Either metric or english. Doers not matter. Have the tools for both, v\can read the tools for both, have the visual and physical appreciation for both. Know the conversions when needed.

In programming, it is no big deal. Just a G20 or G21 (or G70, G71).

The trick is to be able to visually understand one mm and .100 thousanths. If you can't have the basic undetstanding of looking at an item that is 1 mm, andf an item that is .100 thou, then you have no base of reference. Once past that, you are good. It is kind of like using the visual comparison of 1/8" and 1/4", Just having an appreciation of the sizes.
                        CCBW, MAH

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Which system is used has nothing to do with it whatsoever.Fact is if another company wants to sell here they had better use imperial measures.
                          </font>
                          It has a lot to do with it. I have many good friends in Germany and asked them about this last year. A couple of them said they will never buy an American product until we convert to the metric system since they do not want to buy new tools or have to worry about finding an imperial screw.

I do believe our stubborness and arrogance is causing us to loose export sales as well as off shoring. Manufacturers must create metric designs of their products to sell to foreign countries, it is much easier to tool up in the foreign market then to retool here in America. Caterpillar is an example, they have a large presence in Germany, but they built a factory in Germany to support the European market. If we were metric, this production might have been done here.

I don't think the opposite has as much of an effect. We are used to metric products by now and I don't think it has much of an effect on sales except for a few stubborn people. I actually search out metric products since I would like to standardize on one system and my preference is metric (which means I usually buy non-American products). I find it far easier to use and design all my projects in metric units. Most of this comes down to what people are comfortable with, with the schools teaching metric, I expect to see a switch over to this system over the next 10-20 years as the people set in their ways die off.

One other point, there has been a number of people mentioning problems with metric fasteners, what is the deal? I have been working on metric machines for years and have never noticed any problems. What are these problems everyone talks about?

Comment

Here's an interesting question.
                            If You, in a metric country, order a part from Me, in an Imperial country, and your drawing is in metric, and I program it in Imperial...can you tell the difference?
                            Didn't think so
                            Jim
                            Jim
                            Phinney Bay Machine Works

Comment

If your name is wierdscience then it probably arrives 25.4 times bigger than I expected.

Phil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PBMW:
                              Here's an interesting question.
                              If You, in a metric country, order a part from Me, in an Imperial country, and your drawing is in metric, and I program it in Imperial...can you tell the difference?
                              Didn't think so
                              Jim
                              </font>

Comment

.I think U.S.A has other issues which lose sales with old fashioned ideas. In Woodworking
                                you guys make good products just as I am impressed with most other things you make, I watch Norm Abram on satellite t v he uses a good saw a Delta but unlike Europe who have made a proper sliding table delta have no such thing he made an accessory with plywood which fits in his table slaw slot and uses that while we here mostly nowadays have proper bearing guided sliding tables. People here love the saw but they refuse to come into the 21st century with these tools also the make a spindle which carries a dado blade in Europe that is not allowed as the saw guard has to be removed. Question if these things are not sought after in the USA which I know they are why not develop at least an adapted version which would be snapped up here in Europe. This does mystify me. Alistair ps no intended insult to my American buddies here or anywhere else.

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 01-03-2006).]
                                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                                X