Solidworks or inventor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solidworks or inventor?

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a CAD program, mind you I know nothing about it, I do all of my design freehand often making it up as I go, I know just what I want to do in my head, just seldom get it on paper.
    I would really like to learn to design in 3D or even 2D. So considering I'm starting out from a very newb level, what are your opinions, both are expensive, which would you choose?

I have no personal experience, but all of the threads I have read on the subject say Solidworks is the cats meow.

Comment

I have only used solidworks, but the people I know that have used both like solidworks better.

Comment

Solidworks is around $5K, with annual maintenace around $1200. Plus it may need a fairly high end PC to run it, more bucks.

For a beginner to CAD, how about a freebie?

Download an unrestricted version of Alibre Xpress. Totally free, with slight restrictions on capabilities as opposed to their non-free versions. The good news is you can incrementally upgrade the free version with advanced features as you see the need at a reasonable price.

It won't be Solidworks, but if you've gotten along with nothing it should satisfy your needs for quite awhile.

Be aware the learning curve is pretty steep on any 3D solid modeling program.

Comment

I have used the two you mentioned and think Solidworks is the Cats Meow !
          However, for what it does, Alibre Express is outstanding for a beginner and it's free.
          when you get it under your belt, you may not even want the high price dessert !
          Rich

Comment

Just downloaded alibre xpress, time to play. Thanks.

Comment

I was playing with Alibre until I wanted to use the Shell command and it was disabled. That really annoys me, software crippling, for some reason I want to cut off some ones head when im hit with that. SPeaking of that, my cable modem should be able to do 30+ Mbps and use its own router functions plugged into a switch... Do all these companies think we are so stupid as to not know any better?

Comment

"I was playing with Alibre until I wanted to use the Shell command and it was disabled. That really annoys me, software crippling, for some reason I want to cut off some ones head when im hit with that"

Hmmm...what do you expect for nothing?

If you'd paid attention last summer when Alibre was discussed all over the net you could have signed up for the full featured version of the free Alibre Xpress download like some of us did.

I believe it'll only cost you $200 to get shelling added to your version.

Comment

I use Inventor all the time. I like it better then Solidworks but they are very much the same. I am just more familiar with Inventor.

Comment

DR I was trying out the supposedly full trial version. Keep in mind I have Solidworks on this computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X