Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Mill/Lathe Unit?

Hello again,

I am setting up where to mount my new toy, and have a bench set up for it.
    question one, what is the ideal height for this?
    Also should the top be made of Steel, I have a .250 by 32, 64 piece of plate lying around, should I bolt that to the top of my bench and then the machine to it?

Thanks

Mike in Whitby

Machine height has been discussed before; try digging back through the archive and see what you find.

Generally, for a lathe, the recommendation is to have the carriage handwheel height such that your forearm is horizontal when you're turning it (the handwheel, not your forearm!).

A steel top would certainly add rigidity. Not strictly necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. One thing you might do is thread some studs into the plate, in the bolt-down locations for the machine, secure them in the plate with Loctite, put 4 nuts and 4 washers on the studs, all the way to the bottom, set the machine on top of the nuts/washers on the studs, and then bolt down with 4 more nuts/washers. Then you can use the bottom nuts to adjust the machine for alignment, instead of having to futz around with shims.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
    X