Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struck my first TIG arc today. Wow, that's fun!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should try that with Gatorade bottles instead

You should cut the can in half, then but weld it back together. Stay away from the base or the top, that's cheating

-Adrian

Comment

Ahhh, I was gonna show my new project and I got jumped again.....Oh well, nice aluminum welds
      JRouche

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

Also for people TIG welding aluminum: Try welding fillet joints with a pointed tungsten instead of your typicial balled over one.

-Adrian
        </font>
        Good luck with that theory with an older machine. You obviously have a newer machine that will weld AC with a point. My Rinkkin Squarewave won't do it...it doesn't matter where you set it.
        The only thing that'll get you is a tip of tungsten spit in your pretty weld.

I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I got the same results on my new Syncrowave as I did with the old Syncrowaves I used.

Comment

You need higher AC frequency to make the point work.
            Older transformer style machines are 60Hz.
            You need to be able to adjust the frequency higher for a pointed tungsten. Inverter type machines have this adjustablity...usually from 20Hz to 200Hz (or so)
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I'm not sure what freq my machine is running at. It's not adjustable so it's probably 60hz from the source input. I do have an A/C ballance adjustment. I'm sure if it was set too much into the positive swing, it would definitely destroy the tip quickly but I'm sure I had it on ballanced A/C.

-Adrian

Comment

Working...
              X