grinding fixture build - VERY long w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding fixture build - VERY long w/pics

I wanted a universal fixture for the T&C grinder, capable of holding drill bits and lathe tool bits so that I could easily to facetted drill sharpening, acme or V thread bits etc. I had fun taking pics through the build and thought you guys might enjoy them

The assembly was fabricated using my stick welder

Here’s an overview of the unit after welding

I sent everything out to be normalized and had the drill V-block case hardened at the same time. Well worth the $30 to know its going to be reasonably stable

For accurate work, you need a reference surface. I decided to scrap in one side of the elbows so there would be no distortion from clamping. Started with the power scraper

and finished with a hand scraper. Almost complete blue-out – good enough for the girls I know!

I bolted each elbow to a tool makers block (made by yours truly, hardened and ground square to 1/10 thou all over and done as a matched pair).

The elbows are now all squared up.

I then made an arbor for the lathe to clean up the circumference.

Here’s an elbow, square and ready for divisions

I graduated each axis in degrees – TEDIUM! Gotta get the 4 axis cnc built!

With one disk graduated, the other needs a witness mark. Here I’m using an indicator to get the disk’s face parallel to the machine’s axis before make a witness mark on the base

Graduating all done!

Here’s progress to date, I mainly included this shot to show the tool bit holder attachment.

Now things get messy. I used auto body filler, spot putty and a couple of coats of cellulose primer with sanding in between

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 01-14-2006).]

Comment

This is chronologically a bit out of order – machining on the V-block was done prior to case hardening. Here am drilling the two longitudinal holes, one for the tooth rest gizmo and the other for rest at the end of the drill. The two bars the make up these mechanisms are held via cotters – you can see the brass cotter the intersects the hole and the آ¼ ready rod holding it in place

Here the V is being cut.

Here’s the drill stop – am adjustable gizmo that the end of the drill rests against. There are a couple of different attachments for this – ie a long thin adjusting screw for very small dia drills and different lengths of the long rod. It will hold drills from 1/16 to 1â€‌ or more

I made this �third hand’ rig and posted pics of it here awhile ago, and a few wanted to see it in use – here you go. It’s a real time saver, otherwise to do this job properly you’d be pinning or such the pieces together. The work piece is the

I get the best silver solder results by placing small pieces of solder in the flux and then just warming everything up

Here’s the tooth rest body after pickling and slitting

The tooth rest is almost done. There will be a micrometer feed on the end, I still have to make the screw and end piece. The idea is that between its built in adjustments and the convenience of the cotter holding it in the V block, its quickly adjustable to any position and then the micrometer adjustment can bring the tooth rest do the final position

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 01-14-2006).]

Comment

The V block is being set up for grinding. It was ground all over after case hardening and an oil quench.

Here’s the completed unit. I used the Tremclad hammer finish paint – I don’t think I’d recommend it and probably won’t use it again but don’t have energy right now to refinish.

I hope this helps or interest you guys.

Comment

wholy cow, that came out great

Comment

Mcgyver, that is some nice looking work. It looks like a casting that has been smoothed after all of the filling and paint work you did, really makes the job look professional. Also the graduations look great and should prove real useful.
            Jonathan P.

Comment

Damn fine job Mcgyver

Comment

OK you newer guys.

Here is a crystal clear example of how a project goes from need to concept through the stages of manufacture to a handsome finished and practical end product that fulfills the need.

You who are new to the home machine shop should print out this thread and file it in your library under "inspiration."

McGyver, you're all but a few thousand words of narrative short of an excellent and informative article for HSM or MHSW. I suggest you stress the needs from which the concept sprang and be sure to include some words about how you made your decisions about size and feature. Add a few of your preliminary sketches and why they failed to make the cut.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 01-14-2006).]

Comment

well done!, its a lovelly piece of workmanship, this is exacly what this forum is for, i think you have inspiered me to look at this build nearer summer for my tool and cutter grinder, i dont think that ill bother with the filler as i like to see the swirly cutter marks on the finished piece, or is there something wrong with me? but a lovelly finish to the job. 10 outa 10.

bill

Comment

Mcgyver.
                    Your machine work is exceptional.
                    Welding ...Ummmm...I'm going to be honest...you need more practise ....but in all honesty.........it doesn't matter ..because the results at the end are a masterpiece.
                    I would like to see more of how you put the numbers and graduations on ...as I've never done this before and it would be of interest to me.
                    Also the way you have posted this step by step.. is the way to go .more people here should be doing this ....pictures speak a thousand words........and you don't need many words to describe what is going on.
                    You do it so well.
                    Cant wait for the next post when you make other things for your cutter grinder .marvellous
                    all the best.mark

Comment

Extremely nice job... took awhile to download the pic's but well wroth the wait.
                      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Mcgyver,

That is some real nice work, thanks for sharing. I think you should write it up for HSM magazine. I think it would be a big hit.

------------------
                        Paul in NE Ohio
                        Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

VERY nice..how many hours work have you put in to ths???
                          freddy
                          15X50 colchester.. 9 inch southbend. milrite, wire feed

Comment

Very fine and useful fixture! Your work speaks for itself. Well done.
                            Mike

Comment

i forgot to ask, what is the material used, looks like aluminium?
                              bill

Comment

Working...
                              X