Wedge or Piston Type Tool Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedge or Piston Type Tool Posts

Need your input on which type you guys think is better.

Graeme

Wedge is better.

Comment

Wedge is more repeatable.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The wedge offers a bit more rigidity and repeatability, but for the home shop, the piston will do fine. The money saved can be put to good use buying more toolholders.
        Jim H.

Comment

Another vote for wedge. Better repeatability, and reduced vibration because it locks in the toolholder better.
          Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

# 5 in favor of the wedge type.

Not being sarcastic, search the archives for views on each type. This topic has been brought up several times.
            Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Wedge..JRouche

Enco has the phase II with holders on sale right now. Reg. 278 (or so) now-199 plus free shipping....Or you can get a used one (Aloris) on ebay for 150-200 without holders or a new Aloris post for 300...JRouche
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The major advantage of the Aloris style toolpost is its mass and rigidity and the speed of tooling changes. Both styles offer these advantages.

For the home shop, the difference between the wedge and piston is minimal, and probably not noticeable under routine use.

If dead nuts repeatability is needed when changing tooling, as in a production situation, the wedge is the way to go. Otherwise, the decision is as much economics as practability.
                Jim H.

Comment

wedge is the only way to go. i have the piston type pull away a little with heavy cuts.

Comment

Working...
                  X