No announcement yet.

Aluminum Plate Vs Extruded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember its only a drop until you need it, then its worth a whole lot more. Just like the the auto wrecking yard...Bob

------------------
    Bob Wright
    Salem, Oh Birthplace of The Silver & Deming Drill
    Bob Wright
    Salem, Oh Birthplace of The Silver & Deming Drill

Comment

Must be billet
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I bought some 2x2x1/4" angle and some 1/4" plate awhile back.$1.85/lb for the angle,$3.16/lb for the plate.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Interesting discussion, but a few days late for me. I have some plate on order and I'm assuming it's going to be 6061 since they told me that's pretty much all they get in. To get my project started, I bought some 6 inch wide aluminum, 3/8 thick. It's bowed across the diameter by .020. I made sure I clamped the warp out of it before doing the machining, and when assembled it will be flat again, so it should be fine. There will be a sequence to assembling this structure, dictated in part by this warpage.
          The 3/8 al plate I'm getting will likely be sheared, so I'm told. Some of the pieces I'm cutting to shape will have the corners cut off, so I'm hoping that the worst of the distortion from shearing can be cut away. I'm hoping the piece I receive isn't twisted. What a pain that is.
          One piece of orphan material I worked with today is some soft gummy garbage that I would have thrown away had I not already had time into it. I hope that's the last of that turd there is laying around. I still have to drill and tap some holes in that one. Not looking forward to that.
          Well, ya learn something every day, and next time I go to buy material, I'll have an even better idea of what exactly to ask for because of what I'm learning here. Thanks again fellas.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
          X