What size silver solder do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size silver solder do you use?

I've been in the habit of using 1/32" silver solder, mainly because that's what my supplier had when I ordered for the first time.

But, it is a nuisance. I've been using the Kozo method of laying a small snip of it next to the joint. Almost without fail, when the flux starts bubbling it gets moved to where I don't want it.

Is 1/16" more likely to stay in place? It seems as if it would, but I'd like to get some opinions before I change my way of doing things.

Comments?

Thank you.

Orrin

So many projects. So little time.

It all depends on what you are joining, small sections will work better with the smaller diameter wire.

Don't be afraid to use a pusher to push the solder piece back in place. I prefer to hold the wire and feed it into the heated joint when possible.
    Jim H.

Comment

I doubt 1/16" will stay in place any better. Personally, for the size of work I generally do I prefer the 1/32".
      Are you embedding the pieces down in the flux? If not, that might help.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

No, I used 1/16th brazing rod in the fashion you have and the flux moved it all around when it started to bubble. I've resorted to jigging up the part and putting the torch in one hand and rod in the other. Then I play the flame on the items to be heated with the rod just outside the envelope. When I see the cherry red I make contact with the rod knowing that the metal will flow in the direction of the most heat.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 01-21-2006).]
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Sometimes I heat the parts after fluxing with a propane torch from a long ways away. Just to evaporate the water in the flux. Then add the small pieces of silver solder. I have only 1/16 silver solder and hammer it flat into thin strip on a clean anvil and then snip into small pieces. These float real easy when the flux melts turn clear and becomes active. With a long stainless steel rod that is pointed and well oxidized on the tip so the silver solder won't "stick" to it, this is used to slide them into position when they start to wonder off.

Comment

Another thing I have done is to cut a small piece off, and hammer or 'peen' it flat, and then place it between the pieces that you are joining.

Mark

Comment

Thank you for your ideas. They'll be a big help.

Mark, Coles has silver solder in ribbon form that is easily slipped into joints. If you try to order from them, make sure they have it in stock before you take any action. From what I hear, their inventory is going downhill.

Regards,

Orrin
              So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Working...
              X