Google has new product..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google has new product..........

Just got of Instant Messinger with my friend on the Left Coast and he tells me one of the airbrush websites he goes to says Google has entered into some kinf of agreement to print many books, or part thereof, from some major librarys. He has checked it out and says it's quite supriseing.

http://print.google.com

Maybe everyone already knows about it and I'm the last to hear of it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

A lot of people are upset about it. It seems that Google may be violating some copyrights.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You can do a search on complete books by ticking the box underneath the search.
      I put in the word lathe .........
      and I haven't yet found a book that is less than 150 years old........so I cant see the authors complaining much about that.

all the best.mark

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
        A lot of people are upset about it. It seems that Google may be violating some copyrights.</font>
        Copyright is only there to be broken...They should put some realistic timeline on copyright and patents.....Say 20 years for everything...After that it is a free for all...
        Precision takes time.

Comment

I'd like to see the lenght copywrite/patent be for the life of the author/inventor plus 50 years. And be granted to a real person and not some corp.

------------------
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

They're selling books ... and give a preview of some pages (if the publisher permits it) the same way that Amazon and BN do.

Of course, knowing that your search terms are in the book might be helpful. Gotta go play with it

Comment

I find it ironic that Google's founders say they are defending us from the government by not turning over search histories,yet Google expects us to trust them with those same histories and much more.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Interesting, on Firefox you cannot right click when on these book pages. A print preview also comes up blank in the page areas.

You can search for a topic and land right on the pages though. A search for "moltrecht thread counter" take you right to the relevant pages in his book. You can move back and forth only a few pages though.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
                  I find it ironic that Google's founders say they are defending us from the government by not turning over search histories,yet Google expects us to trust them with those same histories and much more.</font>
                  google's power and limitless, unquestioned reach on the internet today frightens me. the ubiquity of Google banner ads is especially unsettling, specifically due to the fact that they advertise services related to the subject matter of the page you're on in and around your zip code. in order to do this, they're pulling identifying information (i.e. a cache file created by the use of any of the google services that require registration) from your computer and sending it to their server, which then assembles and returns a cluster of pertinent ads.

i know it can be convenient (when the ads aren't all for those crazy mass-registered ad portals/phony search engines), but what else are they doing with that access which is granted by what seems to be half of the webmasters on the internet?

an unabridged log of the web travels of every internet user there ever was could easily be a devastating tool of blackmail in the wrong hands somewhere down the line. on top of that, google is a publicly traded corporation in america, the land where unbridled corporate corruption is apparently the norm.

and of course, i probably just got flagged as a potential threat in their databases...
                  -paul

Comment

Google won some points in my book by resisting this government's intrusion into our privacy. Sure Google has a trove of information on it's customers, but it also has a financial interest in keeping it's customers confidences or it will lose it's user base and become nothing overnight. I wouldn't use any other search engines for this reason. The others might take a loss in the next few days.
                    This is not to say that I have done anything wrong or that I have any bad intentions to worry anyone if my searches became known. However, I may want to read authors that are unpopular with the Bush administration. I've recently ordered 5 books that are probably going to put me on some list. Should I hide them or burn them? If I do, how long before your book list is questioned?

To me, you don't have any freedom of speech if you are afraid to speak. You don't have security in your homes and you don't have security in you papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures if your email is being read and your phone conversations are bugged. The Constitution does allow exceptions to the Government to allow for searches and seizures, but only under one circumstance. Probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation describing exactly what they expect to find as a cause for a Judge to issue a warrant (Amendment IV.)
                    It's all about checks and balances between the branches of our government.
                    Bush has just made the claim that he doesn't have any checks, and that he can violate this law, and by the same logic any other law because of his supposed "inherant" powers. This will be the turning point to a dictatorship. If he isn't checked and impeached and prosecuted, we have a new King George! This is much more dangerous than what I might chose to read.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 01-22-2006).]

Comment

SJorgensen said
                      ===============================================
                      "If he isn't checked and impeached and prosecuted, we have a new King George!"
                      ===============================================

What would be the point in doing that? Seems we did that to Clinton, impeached him and he remained president, so why bother?
                      Michael

Comment

Besides,the same reason we didn't impeach Clinton should apply to you moonbats,if you were to impeach him look who you get for president

This situation really sets a perfect example of how liberals say we shouldn't trust the goverment.....unless it's run by them.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I need some duct tape.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                          X