Cutting Styrene Sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Styrene Sheet

I need to cut some thin .120 sheet styrene sheet without it cracking any hints tips or ideas gentlemen. Thanx

A 'hot wire' setup like RC aircraft builders use to cut foam with might work.

Comment

Score it on both sides and break it. The borg sells a scoring tool (looks like a utility knife with a wierd blade) and a straight edge that's intended for high pressure laminate (OK Formica). This works well on all un-reinforced plastics.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 01-22-2006).]

Comment

I'd practice doing it with a soldering pencil with a thin tip. You might be surprised. I've also cut similar projects with a finising nail held in a pliers and heated with a small propane torch.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

You might try a table saw with a sharp plywood blade, if your saw alignment is good, works for me.

JCD

Comment

Score it on one side only and snap it away from the score. Scoring it on both sides exactly in the same line is near impossible. With styrene an ordinary carpet knife will do fine.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Chainsaw
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Just follow Evans advice, that carpet blade is the way to go

Comment

Haven't tried the carpet knife, but scoring it and snapping is the way to go. I use the high pressure laminate scoring tool myself. Ok, arborite cutter. Using heat in any way is messy, though it might work. I wouldn't bother trying it- it's gonna leave some raised edges for you to deal with, and if you saw to clean it up, you might as well saw to begin with. It'll start to get pretty scratched up.
                  Score and snap it, and if you can set up a jig to score both sides exactly opposite, so much the better. It's not easy to score both sides accurately by measuring, but if you get it right, there's very little edge treatment required after that. The fewer times you have to slide the sheet across something flat for some machining operation, the better.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Evan i tried my jonsered 52 cc chainsaw and made a mess. You were wrong as usual. Keep trying though. Thanx Madman

Comment

Flatten and sharpen the tip for a soldering iron and use it as a hot knife. I've done this with both pencil type and gun type irons. Once you have the knife tip made you can easily change tips when ever you need to. For cutting styrene, I would try using about a 60 or 75 watt pencil iron (less than 10 bucks at Radio Shack).
                      I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                      Scott

Comment

Hand or foot shear
                        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

"Evan i tried my jonsered 52 cc chainsaw and made a mess. You were wrong as usual. Keep trying though. Thanx Madman "

Dummy. You have to replace the stupid "safety chain" that they come with with a real chain.

You're welcome.

Oh yeah, you forgot to capitalize "Jonsered".

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-23-2006).]
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That reply was for three phase i guess hes foolin around with computers again. Thanx Evan it worked nice.

Comment

madman..remember, that if you use any hot knife or melting process,be mindful of the not-so-good for your lungs vapors...

Comment

Working...
                              X