Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Peerless Jewelers lathe on eBay- I need advice

Hey everybody,
    I'm pretty new to the discussion board, think it's great.
    I'm a home machinest as a hobby, nothing too complicated on my Southbend 8" lathe, but I would like to try really small work, like on a jeweler's lathe, but know nothing about what type lathe to start with... I just found a Peerless Jeweler's lathe on eBay, would like you guys to give me input on if it would be a good deal? Any input would be appreciated.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PEERLESS-JEWELER...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Brad

This is a very small watchmakers lathe like the boley lorch small lathes just remember that they are very basic engravers rest lathes designed with clock watchmaking in mind they are considered very old fashioned today as they dont have any of the amenities of the modern lathe screwcutting etc etc etc might be better to go for a small similar lathe with all the bells and whistles so that you dont feel so restricted in the furure Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Instead of that one you would probably be better off buying a new TAIG or Sherline lathe.

They are both highly accurate little lathes that are surprisingly useful.

I've been thinking about adding a TAIG to my workshop for a year or so.

Look at www.cartertools.com

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 01-23-2006).]

Comment

Jewelery and watchmaker lathes are free hand like a wood lathe. I have a Sherline lathe and a number of the toys along with thier knee mill with DRO on both and I am happy with. don't know anything about the Taig.

------------------
        Glen
        Been there, probally broke it doing that
        Glen
        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

what about the old Unimat microlathes/mills; all in one units. Same seller of the Peerless lathe has one of those on now; I know today's machines are going to be better, just looking for something for less money than todays new machines.

Here's the other lathe I'm talking about
          http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIMAT-SL-MINIAT...QQcmdZViewItem

Any ideas on this machine?
          Brad

Comment

Brad, as others have said the watchermakers lathe is a free hand lathe. There are cross slides for them but they are verry expensive, more than the lathe. Don't know what you want to do with a little lathe but I agree with others that a small modern lathe would probably be better suited for small home shop work. The watchmakers lathe are not cheap when you look at they can do. Type in watchmaker lathe on ebay and you will see how the prices range and the different manufactures. Accessory item are very expensive for these lathe and most use 6 or 8 mm collets. Three jaw chucks run $100 or so and they usually don't have a thru hole.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Comment

The TAIG is considered to be a modern watchmaker's lathe, BTW.

Comment

The Unimat is a very nice little lathe, but dont be so sure its gonna sell cheaper than the modern ones, like Taig and Sherline- The old SL style Unimats are not made any more, and they go high on EBAY most of the time- they are made in Austria, and have a blue chip reputation, and usually go for big bucks.
                Go ahead, bid on it, while its down around $100, and if you snag it for anywhere near that, consider yourself lucky. But chances are, its gonna sell for $500 or more.
                This particular one doesnt have a lot of tooling, so it could go lower, but then you dont have the tooling- and frankly, its almost impossible to find separately for reasonable prices- you can easily spend hundreds more for tiny bits of unimat tooling. Better to wait, and pay more for a fully tooled Unimat.

[This message has been edited by Ries (edited 01-23-2006).]

Comment

The basic Unimat lathe came with a threaded spindle, 3&4 jaw chucks, face plate, dogs, drill chuck, toolpost, vise, centers, and milling attachment. These can go for 350 and up based on condition, and WAY WAY up with other accessories. The "watchmaker" version came with a high speed, higher precision spindle, using WW collets held with a drawbar. I've seen these spindles ALONE sell for $400-500, they are pretty rare. Ebay is THE source for Unimats, and they have reached the "collector" status. Never buy a "frankenstein" Unimat (assembled from parts), there's no easy way to align the tailstock. There are 3 versions, the original cast iron (nicest IMHO), Zamac, and aluminum. If you really want a Unimat, go for it. But most experienced Uni owners agree that the Sherline was the answer to improving a Unimat.

Jeff

Comment

I have a gunsmith friend with a Unimat for sale that has lots of extras with it. If you'd like to talk to him, please email. Remove the x's.-Jerald Ware

[email protected]
                    Maho

Comment

If you do decide upon a TAIG you should probably work with Nick Carter at the www.cartertools.com website.

Nick drops in on this forum and has also been writing for the VP magazines.

I have no affiliation. I have heard about Nick's great reputation for a few years so I thought it might be helpful.

From this and my other posts on this thread can you tell that I'm thinking again about buying a TAIG? (I keep putting it off but I know it's eventually going to happen.)

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 01-24-2006).]

Comment

Working...
                      X