Bad bugs in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad bugs in the shop

Greetings from Toano, Va. If you have your shop in a garage or outbuilding, beware of what lurks beneath. Last Saturday night as I cleaned up after milling some 6061, I chanced to move my shopvac. From underneath crawled a large southeastern variety black widow spider. The battle was quick and decisive; a bench broom handle followed by bug spray on her egg case. Be careful where you stick your fingers folks! The little beasts are part of nature but look out if they bite.Gives me the incentive to clean the garage whle it is good and cold, by Virginia standards.
    Russ Hobgood

At my old house I found a huge black widow nest of hundreds of them, I held my breath and used roach spray on them, nothing was alive after that

anything that kills roaches is plain evil.

Comment

Probably contains pyretherns, extracted from flowers. Is absolute death on anything that has a nervious system.
      Russ Hobgood

Comment

tattoomike68:

I will differ with your commet: anything that kills roaches is plain evil

Having worked in the food industry, anthing that people eat that a roach won't is pure evil.

I will say no more, because the "stuff" is on the grocers' shelf. Isn't package food wonderful?

------------------
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TECHSHOP:
          Having worked in the food industry, anthing that people eat that a roach won't is pure evil. </font>
          Yuck - boggles the mind. Will a roach eat Velveeta? I know it won't rot if left out at room temp for 60 days - some university did that experiment.
          The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Velveeta? Bad?

Hey..... don't be talkin bad about Rotel dip........

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

That's the single redeeming quality about winter up here. No bugs, no spiders. It's completely insect/arachinid pest free right now.

Even in summer we have no poisonous critters here. No poisonous snakes, no poisonous spiders. Also no fleas or termites. No rats either. No Lyme disease, yet.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-23-2006).]
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ahh ...but you do have those snow snakes don't you? I've heard they're more toxic than just about any other varmint.

Comment

Only in Manitoba last I heard. Could be a few lurking about Whistler come Olympic time too.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wirecutter:
                    Yuck - boggles the mind. Will a roach eat Velveeta? I know it won't rot if left out at room temp for 60 days - some university did that experiment.</font>
                    THATS HUGE!

You dump 1 14oz can of Contadina Petite Diced Tomatos into a sauce pan with a 1 lb brick of Mexican Velveeta and you got an awesum dip AND you don't have to refrigerate. That makes the warm ups extra fast & easy for emergency tortia chip dips
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                      That's the single redeeming quality about winter up here. No bugs, no spiders. It's completely insect/arachinid pest free right now.

Even in summer we have no poisonous critters here. No poisonous snakes, no poisonous spiders. Also no fleas or termites. No rats either. No Lyme disease, yet.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-23-2006).]
                      </font>
                      You saying the Black Flies and Pine Beetlesgot them all scared away?

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 01-23-2006).]
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I had a little dish of brake fluid in my shop this summer (It was the overflow from bleeding brakes). I kept the dish on the floor and forgot about it. A couple of weeks later there was a coating of dead bugs on top.

I guess they don't realize it's bad stuff until it's too late.

-Adrian

Comment

and the no-seeums

Comment

I had a similar incident early last summer. We were just finishing our house remodel getting ready to put down tile in the kitchen. I had boxes of tile stored in the garage (my shop) by the wall for about 2 years. I moved the boxes into the house. As I reached down and picked up the last box my finger touched something cold and it just didn't feel right. I stood up with the box and looked down. It was a 10" baby rattlesnake lying on the cement floor. It was too cold to move, luckily, and only had a button on the tail. I quickly removed the head with a 3# sledge. If I had picked up that box later in the day when it had a chance to warm up I might have got tagged by the little cuss. We live at about the 2700 ft elevation and get rattlers on occasion. We've got black widows on occasion as well, wind scorpions (Solifugae), and wolf spiders that are so big you can hear them runnin' across the shop floor.
                            Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                              THATS HUGE!

You dump 1 14oz can of Contadina Petite Diced Tomatos into a sauce pan with a 1 lb brick of Mexican Velveeta and you got an awesum dip AND you don't have to refrigerate. That makes the warm ups extra fast & easy for emergency tortia chip dips
                              </font>

Take that same Mexican Velveeta and add Hormel chili with no beans. Yum, yum! Great dip for chunks of sour dough bread.

------------------
                              No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com
                              No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Working...
                              X