Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG class continues to be challenging, but I'm getting better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG class continues to be challenging, but I'm getting better.

TIG welding tip of the day: When using a HF start, don't step on the foot control when the filler rod you're holding is stuck to the electrode.

I missed three days on the welding machine because they were painting the shop. Great maintenance scheduling, huh?

Then I got to run a Dialarc for a day. I missed the foot control, but the scratch start was easy enough.

Now I'm back with the Synchrowave. Ahhhh The fillets are still challenging, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I've even been able to do a few fairly decent horizontal and vertical butt welds.

The youngsters in the class are fun to be around and work with. Some of them are showing surprising talent after just a few days of instruction. Too bad none of them are taking TIG this session.

Roger

Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Roger,

I just started my tig class 2 weeks ago. Last week some of us actually got to strike an arc. I was the first one in front of everyone. Then i had the pleasure of being the demo of " What did he do wrong?". All in all it was great fun. I will be doing some more welding this week. I will keep you posted!!

Rob

Comment

Lookin' good. When you gonna tackle some aluminum?
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

The instructor wants me to spend another week or so on steel before switching me to stainless. Aluminum will be the last part of the course.

The certificate program is set up with a basic and an advanced TIG course, each taking a quarter to complete. Stainless and aluminum are normally covered in the advanced course. Since I'm auditing the course and I'm the only TIG student, he's going to give me a chance to work on all three in one quarter. I can audit the advanced course later if I want more experience with aluminum and stainless. Ten weeks with first-rate equipment and all the supplies in a nice facility is well worth the cost of the courses.

Roger

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by winchman:
          Ten weeks with first-rate equipment and all the supplies in a nice facility is well worth the cost of the courses.</font>
          Then ya gotta go home and work with junk and scrounge for supplies.

Comment

What welders are you using?

I'll assume you are getting a chance to weld aluminum. Do you have AC? Is it square wave? Can you adjust the percentage of the cycle or cleaning action?

Thanks,

Spence

Comment

For the most part. I've been using a Miller Syncrowave 250 like this:

It's got almost all the bells and whistles:
              http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ve_250_dx.html
              http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_250_dx/

I've also used a Miller Dialarc 250, which is pretty nice, too. It doesn't have the HF start or foot control, though.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 01-27-2006).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by winchman:
                For the most part. I've been using a Miller Syncrowave 250</font>
                Careful... I had a fling with one in my welding class and it turned into a full blown love affair.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
                  Careful... I had a fling with one in my welding class and it turned into a full blown love affair.

</font>
                  I'm an old Lincoln diehard...but I wouldn't mind having an affair with a Sync 250 either!

I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Don't you guys go falling in love with my welder! I purchased mine some where around 1996 so it does not have all the goodies that the picture shows. Does have HF start or continous and the foot controll.

At times I would like to have the thumb controll. I guess it does not matter much as my arm shakes to the point that I have problems getting a good bead.
                    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by charlie coghill:
                      Don't you guys go falling in love with my welder! I purchased mine some where around 1996 so it does not have all the goodies that the picture shows. Does have HF start or continous and the foot controll. </font>
                      You can have your old Hag

I like 'em young and firm

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
                        I'm an old Lincoln diehard...but I wouldn't mind having an affair with a Sync 250 either!
                        </font>
                        You'll probably get too excited, dip you tung too quickly, and end it too quickly

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
                          You'll probably get too excited, dip you tung too quickly, and end it too quickly </font>
                          LMAO!
                          Good one!

I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

When I attended welding class (night school) we had a little of everything. Stick, mig, tig, oxy-acet, burning, radiograph and air arcing. I went the first year to learn, and a second year to practice.

Frank

Comment

Don't make me drag out a picture of my '69 Idealarc...

It scares the kiddies
                              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
                              X