• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toolmakers clamps

hi gents, has anyone got any plans on how to make a toolmakers clamp please

bill

Bill
    Check out the Village Press as they have a construction article on fabricating the typical machinist's parallel clamps in one of their books. I donot remember the volume.

JRW

Comment

hmm...used to have a set of plans, can't remember that they were that difficult to make your own plans. i dont have autocad installed yet. Basically just two pieces of say 3/4" CRS, a hole half way back on one, a hole all the way back on the other. In the corresponding place, the "opposite side" has a divet to put the end of the thumbscrew.

Some things are just cosmetic and can be ground in...like the radius's...for the angles, I think 30 deg is about right, can't remember. Again, there's not much to them.

If you want to get fancy, heat treat it.

For something like this, plans are a picture of one...make it work for you.

-Jacob

Comment

Guy Lautard has plans in one of his "Machinist Bedside Reader" books.

----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Do you mean like the Kant twist clamps?

Or something different?

------------------
          The tame Wolf !

Comment

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~link/mfg/g...scription.html
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

yeah Latuards books have em, made a bunch of them, probably 10 or more in various sizes, super handy to have around

Comment

Mcgyver,

In looking at on of your post where you made a very nice thimagiggy, you had some clamps that looked like a version of wood clamps.

I was wanting to make some. Its seems like a decent beginers project.

Are those the same clamps that you are talking about>?>????

Comment

NOT TRYING TO BE A A$$HOLE HERE BUT:

I have a few sets of these clamps and really don't like using them. They don't seem to have the holding ability of common c-clamps. Am I missing something? I understand they are popular with machinist but I can't figure out why unless its just tradition? (I don't like the woodworkers clamps made in the similar way either)
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Those clamps are a "traditional" school shop learning project. I have also know many who think their actual use leaves much to be desired. Not to say that they don't have no use at all.

Don't know if in an earlier time those clamps where a machinists dodge.

Boss: "What are you doing?"

Machinist: "I making a fixture/tooling for...."

Boss nods his head, and walks away to annoy someone else.

EDIT: Read the next post the man tells the truth. Some bosses got a good memory

------------------
                    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

[This message has been edited by TECHSHOP (edited 01-22-2006).]
                    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                      NOT TRYING TO BE A A$$HOLE HERE BUT:

I have a few sets of these clamps and really don't like using them. They don't seem to have the holding ability of common c-clamps. Am I missing something? I understand they are popular with machinist but I can't figure out why unless its just tradition? (I don't like the woodworkers clamps made in the similar way either)
                      </font>
                      They are parallel clamps. They have a low profile and allow you to work around them where a C clamp would be in the way.

They also will not walk off work the way a C clamp does, are relatively non-marring, and have very high clamping power when applied properly. The frame and screw will not twist out of shape like a C clamp will.

To apply, clamp to the work, adjust the screws until the jaws are parallel, tighten both screws and then crank outside screw as tight as you can, use a tommy bar in the holes provided.
                      Jim H.

Comment

You don't like parallel clamps? Just wait until you need to work close and see what "C" clamps do for you.

Comment

yeah, what JC said. imo they have great holding power. I frequently use them to workhold on the mill or sometimes drill press. Holding power has never been a problem imo. C clamps are ok for welding etc, but for precision set ups they are hard to use cuz they move everything on tightening - even if there was clearance under the mill spindle. Old Dog, you gotta give them a second chance, are we talking the same thing?

here's some home brew ones in action

cuemaker, that’s them. here's a gratuitous shot of all of them. There are the simplest thing in the world to make, but Latuards book does give all the dimension so they look and operate with the right proportions. I used unf ready rod

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 01-22-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 01-22-2006).]

Comment

Mcgyver or anybody else with the answer.

I see that they would be fairly simple to make.

2 or 3 questions.

1. On the screw towards the end of the clamp. It seemes to terminate into the clamp itself. Is it welded in, threaded in with maybe some loctite?

2. What is a decent material for the clamps. 1018? I have plenty of that.

3. Can someone please give me the full name of the Latuards book

Comment

See http://www.lautard.com/

The end screw terminates in a rounded end, with a corresponding socket in the clamp body. The socket is somewhat counterbored (maybe 1/4") so the screw end will stay in place.

1018 would work, but if I were going to the trouble of making some I'd be inclined to get some pre-hardened 4142 and do a really good job of it. (www.mscdirect.com sells it.)
                              ----------
                              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                              X